Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a huge mistake and mixed a half pound of promo with like 5 pounds of clay dot. What a waste. Is there any useful thing I can do with this? I heard once that it makes good fertilizer but I don’t know if that was really true.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm a retired industrial R&D chemist. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you ... foolishly...on the trap field.

If you'd like to hear what I'd do with it, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The main ingredient in modern smokeless powders is guncotton (nitro cellulose). Also, some powders have glycerol tri-nitrate. As others have said you can bury it in your garden for added nitrogen to the soil. Another thing you can do if you're into pyrotechnics is make nitrocellulose based igniters. That or use it as a binding for stars in shells. Sadly smokeless powders really don't serve much of a purpose in pyrotechnics or fireworks in general. I have heard stories of people using smokeless powder for low altitude rocket engines and flower pots/mines. I personally don't buy those stories.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Promo is a mixture of OEM powders mixed to burn at Red Dot speeds. It is a tad slower than Clay Dot. While you could safely use it for mid-pressure shotshell loads, I personally wouldn't. I'd use it to reload pistol rounds, especially 45. Clay Dot is my second favorite bullseye powder. Use old Clays data.

Now before I get a bunch of negative comments, understand this. When Hodgdon was considering a suit against Alliant for Clay Dot, I called Hodgdon. I spoke to their Ballestician who told me Alliant had reverse engineered Clays to the letter. This was when Australia was still producing Clays.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well lets see here. Cost of 2 different pounds of powder, $40 on the long side. Cost of 10 gallons of water to dispose of powder in driveway or hole in garden, .10 cents. So we are ballpark $40.10.
Cost of possibly blown up gun, depending on if its a true trap gun, lets say $2,000. Damage to self, ?$?$?$?$, who knows. Damage to others standing near, as this too cheap to buy new powder and avoid collateral damage and injury to others, lord only knows and hopefully they are by themselves when it happens.

Reactions: DD89521

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well lets see here. Cost of 2 different pounds of powder, $40 on the long side. Cost of 10 gallons of water to dispose of powder in driveway or hole in garden, .10 cents. So we are ballpark $40.10.
Cost of possibly blown up gun, depending on if its a true trap gun, lets say $2,000. Damage to self, ?$?$?$?$, who knows. Damage to others standing near, as this too cheap to buy new powder and avoid collateral damage and injury to others, lord only knows and hopefully they are by themselves when it happens.
Plus bad PR for gunowners when an idiot blows his gun up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah it’ll go in the garden then. Just to be clear, I was only looking for non-ammunition uses, but the needle nose pliers was a good one😂
Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
"Cost of possibly blown up gun, depending on if its a true trap gun, lets say $2,000. "

Every freakin time you pull the trigger....no matter what's in it.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
I tried powder as a fertilizer on a house plant, didn’t kill it but didn’t help it either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts