Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Couldn't disagree more with the OP. Too bad he never went to Vandalia and got a taste of how bad it really sucked (and that's not a complaint, it's just an observation of how much better it can be when things are planned out rather than cobbled together over 80 years). The facility in Sparta is about as shooter-friendly as any place I've been. I haven't been to them all, but I've been to quite a few.

There is plenty of lodging within a reasonable distance, and at reasonable prices. True there is not much in Sparta, but compare the drive you would make at other big shoots and it ends up not being that much of a difference. I would certainly prefer that they built a hotel that never ran out of room right behind the trap line, but finding good lodging reasonably close isn't that hard. I'm not a camper, but a friend is and I have to say it seems like a good way to go if that's your style.

Sparta has a few good spots for food if you don't want to leave town, but there are a ton of good choices in the general vicinity. I've never come home from the Grand (and I've been every year it's been in Sparta) complaining that I didn't get enough good food on the trip.

I've never been to the Missouri Fall Handicap, but I've heard good things and I'm sure it's nice. But there is one thing I can guarantee you . . . you will never win a Grand American trophy at the Missouri Fall Handicap.

Scott

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Scott, you are right about Grand trophies being very special. I hope you can get to Linn Creek some year, just by the numbers, you have a better chance of taking home a trophy, smaller crowd/better odds. This year I overheard several shooters who were very pleasantly surprised at the pay off check they picked up. It is a well run tournament and we have a good time, hope to see ya there sometime.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts