Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm refinishing a stock for a competition shotgun and am considering Minwax Wipe On Water Based Polyurethane for the gloss clear coat.

Has anyone used it for their clear coat and if so, can you comment on the durability?

I understand water based poly is not as strong as oil based, but I have had projects yellow with oil based polyurethane.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Tru- oil works well for a clear coat. If you can find it.
I used it on a Winchester model 67 , .22 caliber rifle my grandpa left me. I removed the stock, hand sanded it, re stained the wood and put the Tru-oil on. Over 40 years ago, just turned 60 on the first of this month!
It didn't help that old gun to shoot any better, either! Haha!

·
Vendor
19,215 Posts
I've used both water and oil Minwax. I like them both. Try the water base on another piece of hardwood before going to your gun stock project. But, I use Oil as a preference. 4 or 5 coats with a finger as my applicator, 24 hours to dry, light sand with 600, do it again till happy with the result.Just finished oil on a shelf redo (stock at the comb) and I will do it again next off season. but good for now. I'[ll try and remember to post a pic

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Funny you should bring this up. I was just watching this video the other night, debating on a refinish project myself. It may, or may not, help in choosing the right product. I may go with the Arm-R-Seal myself..............................................

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
I would not use the water based poly finishes on my shotgun stock. I have not used the wipe on minwax product, but have used there water based polycrylic based product. It comes in a light blue can. This stuff has a very soft finish. Read the can of your wipe on product and see if it is recommended for use on floors!!! There other water based product (blue can) says right on the can that its not recommend to use on floors. This stuff is just to darn soft of a finish. Varnish has a real bad problem with Yellowing!!! Are you sure it was a Polyurithane that had the problem with yellowing?
I would use the Minwax fast drying Polyurethane that comes in like 3 different finishes. This stuff dry's very hard indeed after it dry's. It will take a week before its totally hard. Perfect for a shotgun stock. Yes, It must be sprayed onto the stock. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all Jeff

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've used a lot of minwax poly with great results, I always use a good quality brush, sand between coats with 320 or finer wet or dry paper, I like to wet sand because it creates no dust,wipe down with mineral spirits, use a tack cloth, then recoat , repeat the procedure until you have the desired finish, I like to use a brush because it builds the finish faster. Be careful and use light pressure when wet sanding because wet or dry paper is very sharp and cuts quickly. I also have used 3M synthetic steel wool for irregular surfaces.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I've used both oil and water based finishes for years on woodworking project including more than 200 rocking chairs built for both indoors and outdoors. For a gun stock which of course will be used outdoors I would recommend a product from Target Coatings called Emtech EM9300. It's a water based polycarbonate urethane formulated for outdoor use. Like most water based coatings it's self leveling, can be applied by spraying or with a foam brush, and will dry ready for additional coats in about 30 minutes.
Also as with most water based coatings, it will dry crystal clear. The color of your stock when you start is the color you will end up with unless you add color with a tint or a amber sealer coat. I would highly recommend gloss as it will provide more protection. It's worth noting that water based coatings can be rubbed out with rottenstone just as oil based coatings. Good luck

Home - Target Coatings

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

I decided against the Minwax polycyclic.

I just finished my K-80 stock with Varathane Spar Urethane in clear gloss.
Far more durable than the Minwax.

It is water based, so no yellowing, but is rated for exterior use.
Based on my research, I was comfortable using this clear coat.

Going to do my forend tomorrow.

Thanks for all who advised.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Update:

I decided against the Minwax polycyclic.

I just finished my K-80 stock with Varathane Spar Urethane in clear gloss.
Far more durable than the Minwax.

It is water based, so no yellowing, but is rated for exterior use.
Based on my research, I was comfortable using this clear coat.

Going to do my forend tomorrow.

Thanks for all who advised.
How many coats ? Post up a few pix when you get a chance.......................................................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts