I took advice from a good friend Terry Jordan of the Wall Chart Fame.
He had advised my wife to set a trap for Straight away targets only, and begin raising her comb until she was shooting over the targets. Then lower the comb until she was smoking the straights...We did that with remarkable improvement for her.
I was struggling with the BT-100, so decided to do the same thing...I had the comb set with .250" spacers that I did on the pattern board for a 80/20 pattern, but just could not get hard hits on the targets, and was missing by being under them....When I did Terry's suggested thing with the comb, I had to go home and turn up longer posts on my lathe for my adjustable comb. I returned to the club and continued...I had to add .375" worth of spacers when I finished...Then I had the comb up a total space of 5/8" and saw a terrible gap between the beads that distracted me...I did some experimenting and came up with this little idea that has proven results...Anyone who knows me would tell you my hits are solid smoke now, whether from the 16 yard line or Caps.
I do have to tell you that I am afraid to "pattern" it on a piece of paper..I don't want to know how high this shoots because it could be scary...
I must tell anyone who has a large gap between their mid and front bead, and wants to try to rid themselves of that distraction, just take a small piece of wood and use some electrical tape to hold it on. That is how I started...
I trimmed the wood down to get the look of the front bead sitting on the wood...After I got this piece of plastic from McMaster-Carr, I trimmed to the same dimensions as the wood to get the results I wanted. I then glued this plastic on. I wasn't sure if I wanted a "Center Bead" look or not (I found it wasn't necessary in my case), and if I wanted it I was either going to spot drill a little hole just below the top of the plastic on the ramp portion, and fill it with white paint, OR cut a "V" in the plastic with a mill, and glue a white pin head in the bottom of the "V" to give me the "Center Bead" stack look...I found I did not need it at all because once I know I'm lined up, I never look back at the bead anyway.
I tossed that "V" out in case someone found they wanted the look.
I had fun doing this, and saved a ton of money too.
What Dave did was add a "BUMP" over his mid bead, Jerrie White out of Fort Collins Colorado invented this years ago as a way to close the gap between the mid and front beads when raising the comb for higher poi.
Perazzi adpapted this BUMP system to their MX 9 using mid barrel inserts of varying heights to close the gap. The higher the comb is raised the higher the BUMP. Installing a BUMP is a low cost alternatve to adding a rib and it works.
No worries, every time I come up with an idea its come and gone three or four times. As you found a Bump does work, is easy to install and changed with little effort. Perazzi's approach was really cool, you just slid the bump into a grove on the ramp to match whatever height you chose. Jerrie White's invention was a glue on deal.