Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I still can’t get a plane ticket into Edmonton for my scheduled October 6 goose hunt…. the same one that was canceled due to the COVID last year
I think I just read the boarder is open into Canada if you can prove shots ect....its the US that won't let anyone in. And like everything else Biden does it makes perfect sense. 10k people a day run across the southern boarder but the Blue Jays have to play in Buffalo.

Reactions: The Canuck

·
Registered
82 Posts
The border may be open (I’m not sure it is, I read it was pushed back from August 21 to September 21) but I still can’t get a plane ticket; no flights available on Alaska Airlines. I’m pretty sure if I can get into Canada that the US has to let me back as I’m a US citizen. If not I’ll declare myself Mexican or Afghan; that should do the trick.

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We had strong Northwest winds & rain overnight followed with cloudy even stronger winds with cool temps today. We were scouting for a morning hunt and were not disappointed as ducks and geese both are migrating in from the north. These ducks were watering on a small slough along a silaged barley field of a friend's farm. They'll be in trouble in the morning, lol.
Water Sky Bird Cloud Natural landscape

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Well it's been a fun opening week but work is calling. Headed to a turnaround north of Ft Mac Murray tomorrow so the birds will get a reprieve for two weeks until the next set of days off. Hunting has not been a gimme this season for an opener. We never harvested one juvenile goose. Every bird has been an adult bird. I am guessing the drought this summer causing the small sloughs to dry up brought about a mass die off of goslings having nowhere to hide from predators or nesting attempts were largely unsuccessful. Never seen so many pairs of birds in the skies for opener. There seems to be as many or more pairs than small family flocks and even singles, the few of which we could coax into the spread have been adult birds. Normally singles bomb in without hesitation and are largely juvenile birds separated from the group. This season the majority of singles are avoiding the spread like the plague and not because they are being shot at. The farmers are telling me nobody has been asking to hunt, even local hunters seem to be non-existent this year and of course outfitters are without clients from south of the Can/US border so there is zero pressure on the birds.
I heard two gunshots in a week, one was a small caliber rifle shot that sounded like someone shooting a gopher or coyote or some vermin in the yard near a farmhouse. Never saw another hunter all week and not another hunter out scouting. Here are a few pics from this week. I rarely shoot ducks this early choosing to wait until October when the mallards have greened up nicely and a re plump and filled out but a friend of mine recently acquired a new hunting partner and asked about getting a few carcasses to feed him. I asked her if she could feed him whole ducks and she said yes so I shot a limit of ducks this week for her to freeze whole to have feed for him....his name is Cowboy and he is a captive raised & trained to hunt 3 year old Peregrine Falcon. He hunts with a handler and upland flushing dog for huns, sharptails, pigeons, crows, etc. and is just now being trained to hunt ducks.
Bird Vertebrate Canada goose Beak Ducks, geese and swans
Wheel Sky Ecoregion Military camouflage Tire
Plant community Plant Natural material Grass Terrestrial animal
Sky Cloud Plant Aircraft Vehicle
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape
Hunting Plant People in nature Tree Grass
Sky Plant Bird Natural landscape Tree
Glasses Bird Smile Sunglasses Goggles
Smile Hood Sleeve Mammal Eyewear
Bird Wheel Vertebrate Light Tire

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Well it's been a fun opening week but work is calling. Headed to a turnaround north of Ft Mac Murray tomorrow so the birds will get a reprieve for two weeks until the next set of days off. Hunting has not been a gimme this season for an opener. We never harvested one juvenile goose. Every bird has been an adult bird. I am guessing the drought this summer causing the small sloughs to dry up brought about a mass die off of goslings having nowhere to hide from predators or nesting attempts were largely unsuccessful. Never seen so many pairs of birds in the skies for opener. There seems to be as many or more pairs than small family flocks and even singles, the few of which we could coax into the spread have been adult birds. Normally singles bomb in without hesitation and are largely juvenile birds separated from the group. This season the majority of singles are avoiding the spread like the plague and not because they are being shot at. The farmers are telling me nobody has been asking to hunt, even local hunters seem to be non-existent this year and of course outfitters are without clients from south of the Can/US border so there is zero pressure on the birds.
I heard two gunshots in a week, one was a small caliber rifle shot that sounded like someone shooting a gopher or coyote or some vermin in the yard near a farmhouse. Never saw another hunter all week and not another hunter out scouting. Here are a few pics from this week. I rarely shoot ducks this early choosing to wait until October when the mallards have greened up nicely and a re plump and filled out but a friend of mine recently acquired a new hunting partner and asked about getting a few carcasses to feed him. I asked her if she could feed him whole ducks and she said yes so I shot a limit of ducks this week for her to freeze whole to have feed for him....his name is Cowboy and he is a captive raised & trained to hunt 3 year old Peregrine Falcon. He hunts with a handler and upland flushing dog for huns, sharptails, pigeons, crows, etc. and is just now being trained to hunt ducks.
View attachment 1765115 View attachment 1765116 View attachment 1765117 View attachment 1765118 View attachment 1765119 View attachment 1765121 View attachment 1765122 View attachment 1765123 View attachment 1765124 View attachment 1765125
That is really cool!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
We've had some amazing action the past two weeks on days off between work rotations but back to work again until the 18th before we can get after them again....all birds shown in the pics were taken shooting our beloved 20 gauges! I wouldn't hunt with a 12 ever again. This is season #3 with the 20's and I love it. I sold all my 12 gauge guns except my trap guns. For the geese we shoot 3" 7/8oz steel 2's and for the ducks 2.75' 3/4oz steel 4's through IC chokes....
Glasses Outerwear Eye Smile Wood
Plant Ecoregion Military camouflage People in nature Grass
Plant Vertebrate Farmer Agriculture Sky
Hunting Plant People in nature Farmer Grass
Automotive tire Wood Plant Grass Twig
Bird Military camouflage Hunting Ecoregion Sky
Plant Vertebrate Sky Mammal Flower
People in nature Plant Military camouflage Grass Agriculture
Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hat

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was out with the Canuck and a buddy of his for the last couple days and we were stacking them up, I haven't hunted migratory birds in a long time and forgot how much fun it was, I'll be a regular now, hate to see the Canuck have to hunt alone 🤣 😁
Face Outerwear Military camouflage Helmet Sky

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I was out with the Canuck and a buddy of his for the last couple days and we were stacking them up, I haven't hunted migratory birds in a long time and forgot how much fun it was, I'll be a regular now, hate to see the Canuck have to hunt alone 🤣 😁
View attachment 1771397
You're welcome any time waldedw. I can see a new duck and goose gun in your future.....you need to join the 20 gauge club!! :geek:

I'm sure this is a day you'll never forget when the skies opened up and rained Lesser Canadas?!! Don't know about you but I can't wait to get on that feed of Greenheads I locked down for monday?!! :sneaky:

Bird Sky Beak Plant Tree
Sky Bird Vertebrate Nature Plant
Bird Sky Atmospheric phenomenon Animal migration Morning
Sky Bird Nature Animal migration Bird migration
Bird Sky Beak Natural landscape Tree
Sky Bird Plant Tree Animal migration
Bird Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape
Sky Natural landscape Grass Plain Grassland
Hunting Sky Plant People in nature Military camouflage
Hunting Phasianidae Plant People in nature Sky

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're welcome any time waldedw. I can see a new duck and goose gun in your future.....you need to join the 20 gauge club!! :geek:

I'm sure this is a day you'll never forget when the skies opened up and rained Lesser Canadas?!! Don't know about you but I can't wait to get on that feed of Greenheads I locked down for monday?!! :sneaky:

View attachment 1771608 View attachment 1771609 View attachment 1771610 View attachment 1771611 View attachment 1771612 View attachment 1771613 View attachment 1771614 View attachment 1771615 View attachment 1771616 View attachment 1771617
Thanks Canuck, Things here in Montana suggest weather is on it's way. I've got a lot of Alberta buddies also migrating to AZ along I-15. Let me apologize for our weird Administration. We need proof that Canadians are fully vaccinated for entry. All of them are good people with Loonies to spend. Meanwhile, if you're on the southern border, come on in vaccinated or not and we will likely give you something for your efforts. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I"m just hoping to get in another run before I have to put the bike away for the winter.Dam..winter interclub starts the middle of next month.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Am I right that there are no bag limits in Canada? That is a lot of birds taken for 1 day.
OH yes we have bag limits, 8 dark geese, 8 ducks and 50 snow geese per day, so with 3 of us hunting that's 24 geese and 24 ducks per day and we stick to those limits for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OH yes we have bag limits, 8 dark geese, 8 ducks and 50 snow geese per day, so with 3 of us hunting that's 24 geese and 24 ducks per day and we stick to those limits for sure.
Those birds would be well advised to head this way. Cross into Montana and we can take only 4 dark geese. And, 7 ducks while in the Pacific Flyway.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Probably in a week or so they will start your way 😀 until then they better pay attention here 😋😂

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Am I right that there are no bag limits in Canada? That is a lot of birds taken for 1 day.
We have very short seasons due to weather and generous limits given the population of waterfowl here and the fact there is only 58,000 Migratory Permits(Duck Stamps to you U.S hunters) sold in ALL OF CANADA annually including U.S hunters coming to hunt and people who don't hunt, who just collect migratory stamps! That is not many hunters in a country this size with this much wildlife. There is virtually no pressure on the birds here......as waldedw stated we have a daily limit of 8 ducks, 8 dark geese( 5 of which can be Specklebellies) and 50 white geese per day(Snows, Ross and Blues). Our possession limit on dark geese is three times our daily limit so 24 dark geese possession, 2 x daily on ducks so 16 and no possession limit on white geese so we can have as many as we desire. :)

Here is our hunt from this morning chasing Greenheads...there is still some discussion as to whether it was waldedw or my buddy Scott who shot the first hen? They have to hash out who buys breakfast over that boondoggle! :ROFLMAO:

Trousers Military camouflage Marines Military uniform Military person
Clothing Outerwear Military camouflage Military uniform Military person

21 - 40 of 65 Posts