Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Midway becoming less shooter friendly?! I used to buy Birchwood Casey Truoil at Walmarts or gunshows etc in the past. My Super Wmt does not carry the truoil for gunstock finishing! I went to Midway and their price was alright at $6.99! However, they wanted $3 for "special handling" which was bad enough! They then wanted $19.43 to ship this dangerous material! I guess I will have to go to Amazon! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops! Amazon had no great deals! I then went to old beloved ebay and sure enough, I bought the 3 ounce container for $7.59! Get this!! Free shipping! I will notify old midway they better get their heads out of their asses! I have been more than loyal to them over the years but this was asinine! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
After a bad experience with Midway, I would not buy anything from them. I ordered some mec stuff from them and sent them a check. They couldn't ship everything that was ordered. The $7.59 in merchandise that was not shipped, and never has been was NOT REFUNDED. Their excuse--I didn't order with a credit card. They said, they get too many orders to write refund checks. So the way I see it Midway stole $7.59 from me.

If you don't want to promote criminal activity;

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM MIDWAY!!!

Chuck

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Midway has to be watched like a hawk for shipping charges.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Midway has absolutely gone down the tubes. first their website became almost impossible to locate anything. You search for primers and backhoes would come up or for a set of rings and shovels would come up. There is no rhyme nor reason in the totally erratic search engine that they have now. I had today the very same experience that tcr1146 had. I searched on the internet for a copy of a certain Nosler reloading manual and Midway's name came up. I clicked on it and sure enough they had it at a clearance price of $15.00. When I tried to order it, they wanted $10.59 for shipping, wanted to charge me a "Special Handling Fee" of $3.00 and were going to stick me with a $10.28 "NRA Round-Up"
Fee without my authorizing it and then tried to make me conclude the deal by going through some weird e-mail process. Needless to say, they can take Midway
USA, paint it green and stick it where the sun doesn't shine as far as
I am concerned.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same with me. No more Midway. Shipping and handling would have =19% of total versus free ship elsewhere. Fell on deaf ears with customer service. No more!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I had a friend of mine start putting a line item on all his orders of $5.00 handling, no matter what it was.

He ships over 20,000 packages annually, you do the math.

That is exactly what Midway is doing. I am sure they get deep discounts from UPS and Fed-Ex, they just do not pass it on and charge a handling fee.

Ever seen the "FREE" CD's on how to make computer programs work? Weel they also say pay a small shipping and handling fee, shipping and handling is $8.50, it cost pennies to make the CD, again, you do the math.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I have found myself checking Amazon pricing on just about everything. They seem to be the marketplace of the world. And generally they are the cheapest, especially concerning shipping charges.

·
Registered
808 Posts
About the only way to deal with Midway fill your cart over time and use the promotional codes that are sometimes available for orders of $50 and over.

Midway does offer UPS Mail Innovations service that is cheaper than UPS and uses the US postal service to go the "final mile" to your address. It can not be used for ammo and other items that require special handling, or haz-mat items.

I like to deal with Midway because of all the good they do in regard to youth shooting programs. But if you are looking to pick up a single inexpensive item, their shipping costs usually make that a no go.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I ordered a couple items from Midway and what for they charge in shipping you would think they would do a better job of packaging. Basically a white envelope with the two items enclosed, every unprofessional.

·
Registered
995 Posts
A lot has changed from the old Free shipping days at Midway USA, and I understand that they have an automated handling system that is second to none. I agree that on small orders shipping can be a deal breaker, but let's not forget all the great things that the Potterfields are doing for the youth programs.
dju

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I have bought a lot of things from MidwayUSA and still like doing so but you guys are right about their shipping charges. I can see the "handling charge" on orders under a certain amount but the shipping charges are just rude!

I did the math one time for a purchase of 1,500 lead handgun bullets from MidwayUSA and another Missouri firm, Missouri Bullet Company. The difference in total delivered price for the same quantity of the same weight, style and size bullets was enough to prompt me to write a letter to MidwayUSA president Larry Potterfield, the gist of which is pasted below.

"I have always been loyal to MidwayUSA, seldom checking prices anywhere else. One of the reasons for that has been your prompt and reasonable shipping – two business days via UPS Ground. But a few weeks ago, I was about to order 1,500 lead handgun bullets and thought that $20.26 for shipping was a bit high so I checked with Missouri Bullets and found a substantial difference in both shipping costs and the actual bullet prices. As the two enclosures illustrate, I saved $57.23 by buying from MBC.

"Then this past Tuesday, I was ordering some dies but balked at a shipping cost of $9.49 for that combination of UPS and USPS, which always seems to take forever. I certainly wasn’t going to pay over $15.00 to have a box of dies sent to me via UPS Ground, so I called your customer service line to inquire about USPS Priority Mail and was told you do not offer it. The person with whom I spoke couldn’t say why but was unable to provide me with more affordable shipping alternatives so I bought the dies locally. Perhaps a review of your shipping options is in order and I’ll bet you could turn a profit with Missouri Bullets while offering your customers lower prices."

Given Mr. Potterfield's customer-comes-first advertising, I honestly was surprised that I never received a reply. But I continue to patronize them for items I am not certain will do what I want them to, as their return policy is very generous.

Ed

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He can certainly afford to support the "youth" with the fricking money he is making on shipping and handling! He lost me for good but that only makes me feel good! Certainly will not hurt them! Tom Rhoads Brownells will get my business going forth when possible!

·
2,755 Posts
As dju points out above, Midway used to have free shipping. Their prices were slightly higher on most items than competitors' but the free shipping "usually" made Midway the better deal.

Then Potterfield announced that free shipping was ending, but prices would be lowered so that, overall, Midway would be cheaper than other competitors. I seem to recall him personally posting on an old, long gone cast bullet board concerning this in an attempt to quell the doubts of the members. Many of the members predicted that prices would go up and Midway would be more costly.

So did Midway lower their prices when they ended the free shipping?

Ha! The free shipping disappeared and he raised most, if not all, the prices, at least on the things I usually purchased.

I still find, when I look for an item, that Midway may be a buck or two cheaper on the item itself, but factor in the shipping and the other places I use are cheaper. He lost me unless I absolutely can't find what I need somewhere else. A lot of the members of that former site felt the same way and stopped using Midway.

Bob

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sears is no better. I was going to order shear pins for my snowblower online. they wanted as much for S&H as what the pins were. I ended up going to the Sears store to get them and they were cheaper there than on the web.

ctreay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts