Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. Midway is having a clearance sale right now, it includes their ammunition and some of their reloading supplies.

Federal Top Gun 7.5s: $6.01 a box or $59.95 a flat.
Federal Top Gun 8s: $5.54 a box or $55.16 for a flat.
Hornady Loader Bushings: $2.45 a piece

Thousands of things on sale, in just about every category it looks like.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put Midway on my DO NOT BUY from list. I am a licensed Seller of Ammunition in NY and they still won't sell or ship to me.
That's no good. I'm sure there a lot of frustrations in the business. There seems to be a lot of various laws/rules for different states.

Jesse

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I put Midway on my DO NOT BUY from list. I am a licensed Seller of Ammunition in NY and they still won't sell or ship to me.
I'm sure they have their reasons. For the regular "Joe" they are terrific. Good prices. LOT'S of stock. Fast shipping, and great customer service.

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
Probably has to do with your state's onerous record keeping requirements and potential criminal liability if they don't get it quite right. Those things have a certain chilling effect.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...and shipping would bring the price to what/flat?
Essentially it's free shipping because the amount you save with the sale is added back in shipping haha... assuming you only buy 1 flat. If you buy more than the 1 flat it save you some more.

Jesse

·
Registered
369 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is bad about 3 dram loads? What is a good dram?

Jesse
Difference between 2 3/4 and 3 DRAM

( Consider any two 1 1/8 ounce target shells that are essentially identical. Except... one is a 3 dram shell running at approx. 1200 feet per second (fps). The other is 2 3/4 dram who's speed is about 1150 fps.

Conventional wisdom holds the 3 dram (1200 fps) shell is 'better' for handicap - particularly long range handicap.

Three dram shells will, without question, result in more recoil than slightly slower 2 3/4 dram shells.

sissy )

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Difference between 2 3/4 and 3 DRAM
( Consider any two 1 1/8 ounce target shells that are essentially identical. Except... one is a 3 dram shell running at approx. 1200 feet per second (fps). The other is 2 3/4 dram who's speed is about 1150 fps.
Conventional wisdom holds the 3 dram (1200 fps) shell is 'better' for handicap - particularly long range handicap.
Three dram shells will, without question, result in more recoil than slightly slower 2 3/4 dram shells.
sissy )
Thanks for the explanation. That clears it up a bit.

Jesse

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
Drams Equivalent are an archaic way of saying "this shell is about the same as what we used to do when we loaded black powder" which is about as relevant as knowing what kind of tires you put on a Model A.

The cartridge manufacturers should simply drop it and put muzzle velocity on the box (some do.)

BTW, everyone should also know that SAAMI allows a +/- 90 feet per second tolerance on the published muzzle velocity. So those shells you think are 1200 fps CAN be as low as 1110 fps and as high as 1290 fps.

And Neil Winston has tested this and found they do vary, quite a lot. Not so much shell to shell, but lot to lot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
which is about as relevant as knowing what kind of tires you put on a Model A.
So those shells you think are 1200 fps CAN be as low as 1110 fps and as high as 1290 fps.
And Neil Winston has tested this and found they do vary, quite a lot. Not so much shell to shell, but lot to lot.
Haha that's pretty good analogy, I'm sure the common person wouldn't be able to tell you what tires would fit a Model A.
90fps seems like a pretty big variance.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
They must be worried that the shell's inerds will become outerds if they don't crimp them deep enough...wow!
"Amateurs & Professionals" above
These messages of wisdom at the tail end of a post are interesting at first but they sure do get tiresome after awhile. Please consider changing them or better yet just quit!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
They must be worried that the shell's inerds will become outerds if they don't crimp them deep enough...wow!
These messages of wisdom at the tail end of a post are interesting at first but they sure do get tiresome after awhile. Please consider changing them or better yet just quit!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts