Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a nice 1990s Citori Trap, and have been having a hard time getting used to it. My old gun has an adjustable comb which I raise at the back to make it a Monte Carlo. This gives me a sight picture of a gap between my mid and front bead.

My new gun doesnt have an adjustable stock, and the beads are stacked in a figure 8 when I mount. I've heard that this is actually a sign of proper gun fit but I just can not hit the same scores with it.

Does anyone prefer a sight picture of gap between beads? Does it make you shoot a bit higher? Hence I'm probably missing under now I have a lower comb?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
i shoot with about 1/4 gap between my beads, send your stock to tron for an adjustable comb then you can adjust yours to how you like it

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are all sorts of inexpensive stick-on comb pads that some people use to see if they need, or want, an adjustable comb. In your case, it sounds like a Tron trip is already called for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I was looking more to see if anyone else prefers this sight picture of a gap between beads, or if it's considered wrong, and I should look to change my technique rather than alter the stock.

I'll get a slip-on comb raising kit to start with before committing to getting the stock made adjustable.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I see a gap between beads but that doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong. The inexpensive kit like richg99 suggests is a great way to find your proper poi. Tron is one of many gunsmiths capable of installing adjustable combs. Get a4-way adjustable, not just a 2-way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I started trapshooting with a sporting gun. In order to get my gun to shoot higher, I mounted the butt a little lower on my body, raised the comb a little, and put a little gap in my beads. As I moved back in handicap, I kept doing the same thing and increased the gap in my beads. I got to the point where my gap was so much, it was hard to make the gap consistent from one target to another. My scores naturally started to fall.

I ended up getting a trap combo gun with an adjustable rib and PFS. I have my, rib, comb, and buttpad all adjusted where I want, which means my beads are now a figure 8 on both barrels. I really like the figure 8 because I don't have to guess bead gap any more; as long as the beads are in a figure 8, my sight picture and point of impact looks the same for both barrels.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Like what has been said a little moles skin should do the trick but your success will come sooner if you take the back bead off and practice your mount mechanics more often
in front of a mirror ! The part of keeping your head down plays a big part of how high the gun shoots , make it less expensive by doing your part first !

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks. I was looking more to see if anyone else prefers this sight picture of a gap between beads, or if it's considered wrong, and I should look to change my technique rather than alter the stock.

I'll get a slip-on comb raising kit to start with before committing to getting the stock made adjustable.
Manufactures spec % high or low assuming figure 8 beads. In the real world, stacked beads doesn’t mean much. Phatmann and jk80 got it right. Some people do shoot well with a 60/40 gun but most trap shooters prefer a higher POI. You are right on using a slip on comb. It doesn’t take much to raise the POI assuming you have a consistent gun mount.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
As only one person posted above. Find out where each gun is shooting at about 13 yards. Do this from a rest and squeeze the trigger. If the new gun is shooting lower than the old, you need to raise comb. Be careful using mole skin and/or a slip on. 1/16 inch move will equate to about an inch move at 13 yards.

I recommend that you document where each gun is shooting at 13 yards. Then send the new gun to Tron for an adjustable comb. If you are mounting the gun high on your shoulder, also get an adjustable butt plate.

Jason

·
Registered
503 Posts
As only one person posted above. Find out where each gun is shooting at about 13 yards. Do this from a rest and squeeze the trigger. If the new gun is shooting lower than the old, you need to raise comb. Be careful using mole skin and/or a slip on. 1/16 inch move will equate to about an inch move at 13 yards.

I recommend that you document where each gun is shooting at 13 yards. Then send the new gun to Tron for an adjustable comb. If you are mounting the gun high on your shoulder, also get an adjustable butt plate.

Jason
Does he stack the beads or have a gap when shooting off the rest?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Use the pattern board I started with a figure eight but wanted a higher shooting gun started raising the comb a spacer at a time till I got the gun to shoot like I wanted that put the beads with a gap but mounting the gun the same only using the beads to check cant and focusing on the bird has worked for me

·
Registered
417 Posts

I shoot much better seeing the gap, not sure why but it’s a major difference for me.

It’s not a point of impact thing for me either, I can take an adjustable rib gun and shoot it much better seeing the gap rather than a figure 8.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts