Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have twin boys who are 10, in the next year i hope to introduce them to trapshooting when they are 11. Since im going to be looking at two guns, query how the Micro BT-99 has worked for other parents and young shooters on this forum :)

Tnx in advance - Mike in Virginia

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It's a great gun but don't buy it because you like it, get it because it fits the end user and they can hit with it!. I have coached hundreds of kids in this endeavor. I learned these lessons and questions with both my sons that shot trap on a youth team.
I am a firm believer in not buying any gun for any youth shooter unless the gun is fitted to them and they can hit with it.

How big are your sons?
How strong are they?
Which hand do they write or throw a ball with ?
Which hand they normally use doesn't matter , they might have to switch shoulders depending on which eye is dominate.
How fast are the boys growing?
They grow fast, believe me.
Are you prepared to change guns every other year because they are growing so fast?

Is one growing faster than the other?
Which eye is dominate in each?
What do the boys weigh?
Are they mentally ready for this?
Have they ever shot a gun?
Have they ever shot a shotgun?
Are they ready for the commitment?
Are you?
Do they play any other sport?
Is that sport going to get in the way?

Do they like the BT-99?
Or do you?
Have they shouldered the gun?
Does it fit them?
Have they shot it?
If so, can they hit with it?
Can they handle it?

So many variables go into purchasing a gun.
Personally, I'd wait and let them shoot a bunch of different guns at the practice and gun club.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When my nephew was young and wanted to try trap I bought him one of the old BT 99 plus, With a 30 inch barrel, Everything was adjustable, rib, stock, length of pull, It was easy to fit to him And as he grew it was adjustable, To this day I consider it the best first trap gun for Young person

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
When my nephew was young and wanted to try trap I bought him one of the old BT 99 plus, With a 30 inch barrel, Everything was adjustable, rib, stock, length of pull, It was easy to fit to him And as he grew it was adjustable, To this day I consider it the best first trap gun for Young person
Good for you! Nothing wrong with a BT-99 unless you're shooting doubles!
Not what I would do with my experience with coaching kids or as a Dad in this sport with my own kids!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments and all good information. Shuld be a fun endeavor to get them started, Mike

·
Registered
245 Posts
wingmaster, what do you recommend o/u in 20ga if they are small? my 15 year old daughter as of two days ago is using a semi in 12ga and the 10 year old boy is in a 20ga semi.
Do you prefer an o/u at this stage or is it ok with semi autos? thank you.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
wingmaster, what do you recommend o/u in 20ga if they are small? my 15 year old daughter as of two days ago is using a semi in 12ga and the 10 year old boy is in a 20ga semi.
Do you prefer an o/u at this stage or is it ok with semi autos? thank you.

Thanks for asking.
In my opinion there is no reason to shoot a 20 gauge trapshooting.
I would rather wait until the young person can handle a 12 gauge. Usually around 100 pounds. But, if they have to shoot, then by all means let them shoot a 20! At least they are shooting! What fun, even if I'm not pulling a trigger!
If I had my choice all youth Shooters would start with a semi- automatic. Easier recoil for one reason. Sure they are a bit heavier but if a kid can handle a semi, he can handle anything.
Many youths in my experience, shoot what dad wants them to shoot, not what fits them, not what they can handle safely or what they can hit targets with.
Leo Harrison III shot a Remington 1100 for years. Look how far he went!
Hope I answered your question and didn't get too longwinded.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thank you for your reply and sorry to jump into the thread. OK, good, both are in semi autos, and we have spent several sessions adjusting the shims and shooting the patterning board. it is going to be great fun to have them shoot along with me, and watch them learn , I took a 10 year sabbatical from trap shooting since the kids were little, but am back now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My son is 11 and interested in purchasing him a BT99 Micro Midas. Is 28' barrel to short? He is on the smaller side and trying to reduce as much weight as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My son is 11 and interested in purchasing him a BT99 Micro Midas. Is 28' barrel to short? He is on the smaller side and trying to reduce as much weight as possible. Thanks
We have several kids on our youth team that shoot 28" barrels for 16 yd singles. It shouldn't be a problem.

·
Vendor
5,182 Posts
20200717_114941.jpg

According to Browning the BT-99 Micro Midas was discontinued in 2016. I have this Bt-99 Micro in stock. 30" Invector Plus barrel, conventional stock, adj LOP. $1375.00
Mike Battista
727 410 5212
Silver Dollar Firearms

·
Registered
62 Posts
Probably a question that everyone else knows the answer to, but is there a functional difference between the Micro Midas and current Micro?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts