Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Michigan Trapshooting Association’s Board met on August 3 and decided to cancel both the State Shoot and the Fall Team Shoot at Mason.
Ingham County remains a COVID hotspot and nobody thinks it will get better when more than 20,000 Michigan State University students arrive in a couple weeks. Ingham County remains at a 100 person assembly limit.
I’ll get the 2021 shoot dates posted on another post.
There will be an Annual Meeting at Mason on Sunday August 30 at 10:00 AM to elect Board members, the Delegate, and the Alternate Delegates.
JB

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's to bad. I will miss the great time we always have at the MTA grounds and seeing many of my friends. I hope the folks up there remember this BS on election day.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Did you actually go to the Ingham county health board and ask them if the outdoor event could be held with proper precautions. Seems to me you and the board gave up awful easy. The fall team is over a month away, work up a plan and submitt it, at least try. You watch MSU will have over 100 attendees at various events indoors and out, they have over a 100 on the football team and have not heard of them canceling.

Don

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don, thanks for your thoughts. The Ingham County Health Officer, Linda Vail, reviewed our re-opening plan and said it was complete and good. That’s the best you can get as they say they are not authorized to “approve” such plans. She cautioned us to be aware of the assembly limits and not violate them.
We have kept in touch with them to be sure we had current information. With our high visibility from the expressway and remembering that the County Sheriff can hear us shoot from his office, the Board felt there was no real choice.
JB

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
The assembly limits are violated weekly with no penalty, College graduation, high school graduation, Walmarts. Plus schools and colleges when students go back this month and next. Shooters would be spread over a couple hundred acres, shooting stations over 6 feet apart. Was any of this presented to the Gov. office in comparison.

I just think not enough effort was expended to make this shoot happen.

Don

·
Registered
494 Posts
Very sad that we won’t get to shoot at Mason this year. Perhaps this could be an opportunity to help out all the other clubs in Michigan by holding a telephonic Spring / Fall team shoot? Pick a weekend and allow every club in Michigan to participate. Limit entries to 15 squads at each location to comply with the Michigan Queen’s (the Governor not Tron) rules. Saturday could be the Spring Team singles and Sunday could be the Fall Team singles. If the trophies have already been purchased this would be a great way to use them and get shooters out to their local clubs. Not a perfect situation but let’s turn some lemons into lemonade!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Give it up, Don. You think they wanted to be the board that cancelled the state shoot? Do you really think they didn't try? Focus your petulance elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Don,

I hate it as well, but the fact remains that the MTA is on the Sheriff's and the local prosecutor's radar. The MTA was already sent a cease and desist order once by the county (they would never do that to MSU).

Neither you or I have all the facts and we don't know what all steps.we're taken by the BOD I will assume they did what they thought was right and weighed all reasonable options. The 100 people per gathering per address limit is the issue .

Comparing the MTA to MSU football is a non starter, as the MTA does not have the resources to conduct daily testing and observation of all participants (as administered by MSU athletics)

Like I said, I hate it too, but I am not going to throw our volunteer BOD under the bus

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I may be petulant but I don't have my head in the sand or elsewhere. you are not going to have a BOD to throw under the bus if things keep going the way they are.

Duckdog had a great idea a telephonic team shoot. We could even use Mason as long as the numbers were under 100. You could get volunteer clubs, team entries and assign teams to clubs with a time to shoot. It could be worked out with a little effort. There is a meeting on the 30th at mason attend and see if can happen along with a election, you better come prepared to elect 3 or 4 new directors but to do that you need candidates.

Maybe more need to be petulant.

Don

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don - Maybe you need to find the volunteers and candidates yourself if you're so convinced they're out there. Run your own telephonic shoot. There's literally nothing stopping you from organizing it yourself. As you stated, "It could be worked out with a little effort."

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Herrings someone told me you were from IN, curious why you want to butt into a Mi problem.

But to answer your dumb question I have detailed out how it might run and comply with MI covid limits.

Maybe if you had more time in the sport you would understand for my concerns for the way the MTA is run.

Don

·
Registered
851 Posts
Go ahead and look me up in the Shooter Information Center. I've shot at MTA several time and had planned on attending the Great Lakes Grand and Michigan State shoots earlier this. I also planned on attending the rescheduled state shoot that this thread is announcing was cancelled. I haven't been registering targets for very long, but I've gotten around enough to participate in large shoots in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina, Utah and Arizona.

As mentioned above by Turbine, the board presented their plan to the county, who said it looked good, but that they had no authority to approve such an event. Especially after already having received a cease and desist letter this year. I'm not sure what your plan could have done any differently that would suddenly make politicians care. Please elaborate for the rest of the class.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Heeringa; A couple of things 1. You have not shot enough targets to impress me and you haven't shot in places I have not already been, BFD. 2. You are butting into things you know nothing about.

End of conversation.

Don

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wasn't trying to impress anyone, pal. You ended the conversation without sharing what you would have done differently, so that's awful cute.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
JB I emailed you my ideas on how to a telephonic team shoot could work. It's something you and your board could do for the shooters of Michigan who have suffered greatly. It would help the small clubs and their bottom line.

Again thanks to Duckdog for coming up with the idea.

Don

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don,

I hate it as well, but the fact remains that the MTA is on the Sheriff's and the local prosecutor's radar. The MTA was already sent a cease and desist order once by the county (they would never do that to MSU).

Neither you or I have all the facts and we don't know what all steps.we're taken by the BOD I will assume they did what they thought was right and weighed all reasonable options. The 100 people per gathering per address limit is the issue .

Comparing the MTA to MSU football is a non starter, as the MTA does not have the resources to conduct daily testing and observation of all participants (as administered by MSU athletics)

Like I said, I hate it too, but I am not going to throw our volunteer BOD under the bus
Why does the sheriff and prosecutor hate the MTA so bad?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Maybe we could call it an armed protest demonstration. Instruct every shooter to imagine Wretched Whitler's face on each target.

Pat

·
Registered
494 Posts
Maybe we could call it an armed protest demonstration. Instruct every shooter to imagine Wretched Whitler's face on each target.

Pat
Pat,

That’s a great idea, but if we do that everyone will end up tied with a perfect 100 straight!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts