Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Why do some international trap guys shoot a choke tube for the first barrel? I also noticed this on a few ISSF videos so it must not be rare. I understand that every target counts but I would think it wouldn’t make a difference for the world’s very best.
Interesting question. James Willett, who equalled the WR 2 years ago, does the same as MD- fixed full top and removeable bottom, extended tube in his case. I don't know what he uses in terms of constriction.

Some reasons may be if they decide to shoot an #8 in the bottom, they will usually go one constriction (i.e. 4 thou) tighter. This may depend on ammo availability, for example-you can't fly with more than 5 boxes, and if you usually shoot an #8 but the competition in Egypt or wherever only has #7 1/2, you may go from an 8 choke to a 7 in the first barrel.

It may depend on target hardness. I have spoken to one international representative who said at one competition the targets would move 1 metre sideways and not break. So in that case they may "choke up".

Or it may be that they use say, a 7 in the bottom for qualifying (where 2 shots are allowed) but want to change for the finals or a shoot-off where it's only one shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting question. James Willett, who equalled the WR 2 years ago, does the same as MD- fixed full top and removeable bottom, extended tube in his case. I don't know what he uses in terms of constriction.

Some reasons may be if they decide to shoot an #8 in the bottom, they will usually go one constriction (i.e. 4 thou) tighter. This may depend on ammo availability, for example-you can't fly with more than 5 boxes, and if you usually shoot an #8 but the competition in Egypt or wherever only has #7 1/2, you may go from an 8 choke to a 7 in the first barrel.

It may depend on target hardness. I have spoken to one international representative who said at one competition the targets would move 1 metre sideways and not break. So in that case they may "choke up".

Or it may be that they use say, a 7 in the bottom for qualifying (where 2 shots are allowed) but want to change for the finals or a shoot-off where it's only one shot.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
More guesses than anything else!

It may also be a carry over from the so-called "double trap" models of the DT10, where fixed top and removeable bottom was offered, presumably to cater for the speed at which the shooter engaged the first target.

James Willett certainly started as a double trap shooter, but once again I'm really just having an educated guess.

Russell Mark would be the person to really answer this one.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts