Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a good look at it. I was wrong about the barrels. I was told they were 1610. They aren’t.

1995 MX8. Fixed 10 top, removable bottom. He shot ISSF trap with a 6 or 7 bottom. Domestic trap he used a 5. 1530 weight. 29.5 inches.

No mid bead. Orange front.

Monte Carlo fixed stock. 35mm dropping to 40mm.

I am told this is the gun he shot at the 2 Olympics (1996 and 2000) where he won gold, and the Olympics where he shot the perfect 125/125 in qualifying to equal the world record and set the Games record. Sadly he didn’t medal at those Games.

It’s also the gun he shot the DTL world long run of over 2000 with in New Zealand.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts

Someone will be along to 'splain he might have been pretty good without that glow worm front site ;)

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Just had a good look at it. I was wrong about the barrels. I was told they were 1610. They aren’t.

1995 MX8. Fixed 10 top, removable bottom. He shot ISSF trap with a 6 or 7 bottom. Domestic trap he used a 5. 1530 weight. 29.5 inches.

No mid bead. Orange front.

Monte Carlo fixed stock. 35mm dropping to 40mm.

I am told this is the gun he shot at the 2 Olympics (1996 and 2000) where he won gold, and the Olympics where he shot the perfect 125/125 in qualifying to equal the world record and set the Games record. Sadly he didn’t medal at those Games.

It’s also the gun he shot the DTL world long run of over 2000 with in New Zealand.
Did you take any pictures while you were there? The 1610 is that barrel weight 1.610kg and you found the correct weight of 1.530kg. What brand removable choke tube was he using in the under barrel? Thx

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Did you take any pictures while you were there? The 1610 is that barrel weight 1.610kg and you found the correct weight of 1.530kg. What brand removable choke tube was he using in the under barrel? Thx
No pics. The original timber is in a trophy case, the timber on the gun replicates what he had on it.

I notice in that pic above there is a lump at mid rib point. I THINK that was glue.

Choke was Perazzi brand I’m sure.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Raised shoulder to bring the stock to his face, head forward on stock. He made the gun an extension of his arm like most Olympic shooters.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,799 Posts
Raised shoulder to bring the stock to his face, head forward on stock. He made the gun an extension of his arm like most Olympic shooters.
Yeah, but he’d be MUCH better if he stood upright, had a longer stock, had a higher comb to keep his head more erect, placed the butt higher on his shoulder, looked through the center of his glasses, raised his right elbow to create a better pocket, and stood more square to the target…… come on! Lots of room for improvement there……:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Dennis:
18.7 mm = about 0.736" bore; 18.4 = .724"

Chokes: multiply X .004 for inches (about)

#10 is 0.10 mm constriction = about 0.040"

#8 is 0.08 mm = 0.032"

#6 is 0.06 mm = 0.024"

#4 is 0.04 mm = 0.016"

Barrel weight
1610 = 1.610 Kg = about 3.55 #
1530 = 1.530 Kg = about 3.37 #

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,799 Posts
That's one of the pics we use to demonstrate that the "nose-thumb distance rule" means very little. Head down and eyes focused outward, on the other hand, means everything, and MD was certainly the master of that.
You can tell by the looks of his right hand that he’s squeezing the juice out of that gun….. I do the same thing when shooting Doubles

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I believe that image is from Diamond's shoot-off in 2011

Reactions: AusAmateur

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drew is correct. A couple of interesting facts:

At the Games in 2012, where MD had won a quota place in that 2011 World Cup, Michael set the Olympic record of 125/125 and did not medal. The single barrel final did not carry Q advantages through other than shooting order.

The second person to congratulate MD in the video is Adam Vella, 2004 Olympic bronze, 4 times Commonwealth champion and a hell of great guy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Drew is correct. A couple of interesting facts:

At the Games in 2012, where MD had won a quota place in that 2011 World Cup, Michael set the Olympic record of 125/125 and did not medal. The single barrel final did not carry Q advantages through other than shooting order.

The second person to congratulate MD in the video is Adam Vella, 2004 Olympic bronze, 4 times Commonwealth champion and a hell of great guy.
Why do some international trap guys shoot a choke tube for the first barrel? I also noticed this on a few ISSF videos so it must not be rare. I understand that every target counts but I would think it wouldn’t make a difference for the world’s very best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts