Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question is do they really have that much effect on felt recoil?
3/4" x 4" mercury reducer have any more effect on felt recoil then a solid weight in butt stock?
Any one who has or tryed these I would appreciate opinions
Thanks for any info rbdjr

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,662 Posts
Looked at logically, a Mercury Recoil Reducer doesn’t make a stock compress during recoil because it sits within the stock. Your recoil pad is connected directly to the wood butt of the stock, and the stock is connected directly to the receiver..... the wood moves the same. Besides, recoil is over long before any shifting of liquid in the tube.
Adding extra weight to your stock accomplishes the same thing. In fact, weight is the biggest factor in the recoil equation; increasing and decreasing.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I have them in a couple of my guns. I'm with Jaburg1 of this one. I think adding weight would accomplish the same thing as the mercury reducer. I was young and impressionable when I bought mine. Now I just add weight if a gun needs taming or changing balance point. Just my opinion.

·
Administrator
8,591 Posts
I gave up on the mercury weights a long time ago. If you are going to shoot a lot of trap and want to reduce felt recoil combo up with a gracoil-Rad 2-Stock Lock- Soft Touch and the various others that are out there. Combine one of these with Lite Target Loads and you will be much happier with your investment.

I do not have a recoil device on my sporting gun as I find getting a decent gun mount awkward as Im not shooting a pre mounted gun like I do in trap. So adding weight in that situation might be beneficial. Some sporting shooters like the ISIS unit a lot and it is worth looking into.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Agreed, an equal amount of weight is just as good as the more expensive mercury units.
I have tried both.
If you are concerned about weight or balance then the Isis units work great as George suggests and don't add any weight or change the balance.

CT

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had a few of them in the past and felt no real results. The gracoil system or stock lock system is the way to go. If you don’t want to spend that much you might want to try the falcon strike recoil pad. I haven’t tried it myself yet but it looks like shooters are getting great results by the research I’ve done on it. Here’s there website if you want to check it out. Hydraulic Recoil Pad | Recoil Reducer | Shotguns, Rifles and ARs

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I added a 6 oz. Staub mercury recoil reducer to the butt stock of my 870 TC Trap, started shooting 1 1/8 oz of 7 1'2's @ 1125 fps (Federal Extra Lite Papers) and gained about 20 pounds. All seemed to help and I liked to hear the mercury sloshing around in the stock.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’m not a fan of recoil devices but I do add weight to the stock.

I just don’t like moving parts.

My personal choice is brass in the stock bole home just like a mercury reducer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like them! I have the kind that bolts directly to the stock bolt, it has a dampening effect and I can feel a difference. I also have an Edwards spring unit and it also has a noticeable effect. The unit beretta used to put in their sporting 391s also was effective.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have one in a M12 and it seems to help.

Anecdote 1 - About a decade ago I was shooting that gun at an event, and it probably attracts some minor attention on account of being a throwback. As I came off a trap someone asked me if I had a reducer, and I said, "Yes." He said he thought so because he didn't perceive much motion from my gun. Hmm

Anecdote 2 - an acquaintance had a Remington 3200 with twin reducers, and I shot it once on doubles. On firing, the gun would quiver, but it didn't move. It was pretty amazing. The only thing I could figure is that in tandem the two devices had some beneficial harmonics going on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Over the years I tried all kinds of reducers. Now I just use a 3" 12ga hull filled with #9 shot in the bolt hole. Seems just as effective as any of the others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts