Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a mercury recoil reducer? I usually shot 1 ounce #8 and all I have found and can get are some 1 1/8 1200fps #8 and they recoil a lot more then I’m use to. I can’t be picky this year for shells so I was going to try a Mercury reducer to see if it would tone those loads down. Any insight on this?

· Registered
13,497 Posts
It will help to a degree. You may find you want to add a barrel weight as well, to re-balance your shotgun. Skeet_man on here sells custom made weights. Not sure if he has them for a single barrel though??? Mmm

might be a good time to look into a PFS, or gra-coil reducer??? Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gra-coil is not really a option. I’m short and had to hav the stock cut and the gra-coil would cut into the comb. It’s a KX6S if it matters. The recoil isnt bad, but noticeable over a day of shooting.

· Registered
897 Posts
I have them in all my guns. I usually use the 11 oz version, which is 7/8 x 4". You will find that this almost perfectly fits the stock bolt hole with very little sanding. I usually place a velcro pad where it contacts the stock bolt and angle cut a piece of dowel at the pad end. Keep the dowel slightly proud of the stock so that the pad will hold the recoil reducer firmly. I carry a threaded bolt that screws into the top of the reducer, in case I need to remove it to access the stock bolt. Finally, I do not like the reducer to be at all loose, so I use clear packing tape to fine tune the fit to the stock bolt hole.

I find that it really does help with recoil...on some guns quite a bit (Model 12). However, truth be told, I really doubt the mercury does anything other than provide an elegant way to add weight. I don't believe the mercury "moving" does a thing. I think what I am really doing is just adding weight. I like a heavy trap gun.

I've played around quite a bit with barrel weight, and found that it did nothing but screw me up. I guess the whole "gun balance" thing doesn't much matter to me, but barrel weight sure does. In the end, remember that we premount and lock the gun into our shoulders. This mitigates a great deal of gun balance (ymmv).

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Paul

· Registered
433 Posts
Gra-coil is not really a option. I’m short and had to hav the stock cut and the gra-coil would cut into the comb. It’s a KX6S if it matters. The recoil isnt bad, but noticeable over a day of shooting.
Try the falcon strike butt pad.They work very well.I have 2 of them and i like them.My opinion they work as good as a gra coil.

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
I added a 6 oz. mercury recoil reducer to my 870 TC Trap and was well pleased. The gun fits me well and I have shot good scores with it. I paid about $75 for a Staub mercury recoil reducer and had it professionally installed when I had an adjustable comb installed. I mostly shoot 1145 fps 1 1/8 loads of 7 1/2 shot in new Federal Paper shells or reloaded Federal Paper hulls. The recoil sensation is pleasant to shoot.

The mercury recoil reducer makes the barrel feel a little lighter and I like to hold the stock to my ear and hear the sloshing sound of mercury in the stock.

The gun now weighs 8.3 pounds.

I have 4 oz. C&H mercury recoil reducers in other 870 Trap grades. I bought the Staub mercury reducer from a friend at a trap shoot. I do not think that they are still in business. Mercury recoil reducers are easy to install in the butt stock by removing the recoil pad and inserting the recoil reducer into the access hole for the stock bolt. I wrap black, slick electrical tape around the recoil reducer so that it fits smugly in the stock bolt hole and then place a small bit of high density foam rubber in the stock bolt hole, under the recoil pad, to completely fill the stock bolt hole.

When I bought my first 870 trap grade many years ago, I had a stock fitter measure me while I had the gun mounted and he advised that the gun fit me very well. I am 5' 8" tall. If a trap gun does not fit you well, it will recoil harder. I think that 870 trap grades are proportioned to fit the majority of shooters well.

· Registered
8,714 Posts
Not sure it's the mercury weight shift movement or just the weight itself, but it makes noticeable difference in felt recoil.
The added weight is close to the rear of the stock which it's against my shoulder, so I didn't feel balance issue.
Put a piece of rubber or something soft in front of the tube against the stock bolt, and tape a pull string on the side to make it easier to pull out.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I have them in all my guns. I usually use the 11 oz version, which is 7/8 x 4". You will find that this almost perfectly fits the stock bolt hole with very little sanding. I usually place a velcro pad where it contacts the stock bolt and angle cut a piece of dowel at the pad end. Keep the dowel slightly proud of the stock so that the pad will hold the recoil reducer firmly. I carry a threaded bolt that screws into the top of the reducer, in case I need to remove it to access the stock bolt. Finally, I do not like the reducer to be at all loose, so I use clear packing tape to fine tune the fit to the stock bolt hole.

I find that it really does help with recoil...on some guns quite a bit (Model 12). However, truth be told, I really doubt the mercury does anything other than provide an elegant way to add weight. I don't believe the mercury "moving" does a thing. I think what I am really doing is just adding weight. I like a heavy trap gun.

I've played around quite a bit with barrel weight, and found that it did nothing but screw me up. I guess the whole "gun balance" thing doesn't much matter to me, but barrel weight sure does. In the end, remember that we premount and lock the gun into our shoulders. This mitigates a great deal of gun balance (ymmv).

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Paul
+1 on this . I added an 8 oz mercury reducer to the stock of my browning 725. It does help with recoil, but I too noticed little difference than just a lead weight .

I really didn’t notice much of a balance difference if any.

· Registered
2,705 Posts
I think 10oz+ is just as effective as some of the popular recoil devices out there. I actually prefer the "deadening" effect extra weight produces vs. the "dispersion" other units produce. Like anything else it's all a matter of personal preference. If you dont mind a heavier gun, you will be pleasantly surprised with the recoil reduction.

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Used mercury recoil reducers and my home made weighted devices in stocks to add weight. Unsure if I can tell the difference in effectiveness. Added weight in a good fitting target gun is effective in reducing perceived recoil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.