Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have suggestions for books on how to improve your mental game? Looking for something that deals with performance anxiety, focus, and concentration as well as relaxation while competing. Seems like I can shoot great during practice but when in competition I loose focus, get nervous and fall apart.

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
I have the following,

With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham
Mind vs Target by Bob Palmer
The Champion's mind by Jim Afremow
Mental Training for the Shotgun Sports by Michael Keyes

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions for books on how to improve your mental game? Looking for something that deals with performance anxiety, focus, and concentration as well as relaxation while competing. Seems like I can shoot great during practice but when in competition I loose focus, get nervous and fall apart.
Gee nobody else has experienced that![ except everyone![smile]

·
Registered
334 Posts
As a collegiate coach, I have my athletes read Mind Gym by author Gary Mack

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Dukefan gave you a great source about the mental side of performance when he listed, "With Winning in Mind".

IMO, Lanny Bassham is the master when it comes to this kind of thing.

Also, Google his "Mental Management Systems" site.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Zen and the martial arts!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Golf is not a game of perfect! Bob Rotella
Lots of transferable ideas between golf and shooting.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Assuming your mechanics and shooting technique are sound, the quality of your practice will have a material effect on your performance in competition. However, there's no substitute for experience gained in competition to improve the way you prepare yourself, control yourself and then perform. You may find this link helpful:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Assuming your mechanics and shooting technique are sound, the quality of your practice will have a material effect on your performance in competition. However, there's no substitute for experience gained in competition to improve the way you prepare yourself, control yourself and then perform. You may find this link helpful:

With respect,I agree that experience is a great teacher but the tuition is extremely steep! [smile]
There are ways to accelerate the learning process and people who have provided a way to make the learning curve more efficient and practice more effective.
Many of those have been referenced in this thread.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Years before I got into shotgun sports I shot several archery leagues. In those leagues about half the participants were professional archers or at least their major form of income came from shooting archery. Those leagues were not quiet affairs! I heard more really humorous often raunchy jokes ,some almost spoken directly into my ear while at full draw focusing on a shot and yet I can only remember the shot I had to let off of three times because of laughing as a shot that the noise, clowning around or purposeful disturbance got to my shooting. We get so tied up in it has to be just right that we don't practice for the disturbances or the internal pressure so we distract ourselves or let our internal pressures torpedo ourselves.

Unless you practice by yourself, make bets with those practicing with you. The more bets you win in practice will be reflected by your scores in registered shooting. Pick practice partners that in good fun try to rile up everybody just as they are on the way to the line. Those types of distractions will go a long way to you reaching your goals.

Al

1 - 14 of 14 Posts