1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Pasted here so you don't have to download the pdf:

May 5, 2020
Dear Shooters and Friends,
I hope all of you are safe and healthy.

We’re starting to see some loosening of restrictions throughout the country. There are shooting ranges opening up and targets are being thrown. The Western Satellite Grand is still on for June 1-7 in Vernal UT. Here in Colorado, the State Shoot is scheduled for June 17-21. I for one can’t wait to get back on the line a break a few targets.

With regards to Satellite Grands, I want to thank ATA Vice President Paul Shaw, the Eastern Zone Delegates and New York State Trapshooting Association for their hard work in rescheduling the Empire Grand for July 20-22. I also want to thank The NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM for stepping up to the plate and hosting the 2020 Southwest Grand, Sept 29-Oct 4. I can’t say enough about the “get it done” attitude by these great individuals and organizations.

I’m sure most are aware that many State Shoots have rescheduled for the 2020 target year. Keep in contact with your State Association, Delegate and the ShootATA.com website for the most up to date information. The Executive Committee authorized States to reschedule 2020 State Shoots as late as Oct 31, 2020. We realize that rescheduling a 2020 State Shoot in the 2021 target should be a last resort. However, we understand that circumstances require flexibility in this area. This should give every state the opportunity to have some form of their 2020 State Shoot.

Keep in mind, that if scheduled in the 2021 target year, all target attainment and All-American points will count for the 2021 target year. State Champions will go on record as the 2020 Champions. Any Singles Champions selected after the 2020 Grand, will be invited to participate in the 2021 Champion of Champions. Additionally, State Associations can waive the 2020 target requirements for Delegate elections if the member is otherwise qualified to become a delegate.

The ATA All-American committee is closely monitoring the All-American system. Should the need arise to adjust requirements for the 2020 target year, the committee will present recommendations to the Executive Committee during the 2020 Grand American.

With respect to the 2020 Grand American, the ATA is committed in holding a Grand American in 2020. We are in contact with the State of Illinois and have requested availability of the World Shooting and Recreation Complex in Sparta, Il beginning on July 20, 2020. We’ve also requested a response no later than June 15, 2020. After June 15, the Executive Committee will make a decision whether the Grand will remain in Sparta for 2020 or move to an alternate location. The Executive Committee and ATA Staff are working on several contingency plans should the complex is Sparta be unavailable.

The Executive Committee approved a recommendation by the Central Handicap Committee to change how penalty classification is determined at the 2020 Grand American. The change is to the “look window” for target attainment. For the 2020 Grand American only, the “look window” starts on September 1, 2018 rather than September 1, 2019. Effectively adding an additional year to attain enough targets to avoid penalty classification at the 2020 Grand American.

As shoots start up, you’ll most certainly see some changes at the gun clubs. If you’re in the vulnerable category, please check with the healthcare professional prior to attending any large gathering. If you’re an official hosting an event, please work with your local authorities to implement appropriate safety measures. With regards to social distancing, trapshooting can fit very well. Just keep in mind the areas where people tend to congregate and take appropriate precautions. If you feel sick or have symptoms commonly associated with COVID-19, please stay home and take care of yourself.

These are unprecedented times and 2020 will be a year to remember. My hope is we’ll remember 2020 for our resilience and how we emerged better than we were before. Good luck shooting and I hope to see you on the line some time very soon. Be safe!

Mike Herman President Amateur Trapshooting Association

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm curious why the decision to not move the target year end date? I'm sure I don't know all the details but at first glance it seems to add more complications than it solves.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
"As shoots start up, you’ll most certainly see some changes at the gun clubs. If you’re in the vulnerable category, please check with the healthcare professional prior to attending any large gathering."

I am 80 years old and have a heart condition. So my options are ???

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
The ATA is doing the best it can under the circumstances.
Not easy to plan anything when you are not in control of the state and/or facility.
Once shooting resumes each shooter will have to decide on participating based on their own health issues.
I applaud them keeping the target year the same.
Hopefully we all will get to shoot in the near future but again the powers in control will decide when and if that will happen.
Good health to all of you, without that you really have nothing.

·
Registered
632 Posts
"As shoots start up, you’ll most certainly see some changes at the gun clubs. If you’re in the vulnerable category, please check with the healthcare professional prior to attending any large gathering."

Your options are to be a responsible 80 year old and make your own decision. If it is not safe for you to attend a shoot, don't go.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I am honestly curious about why the target end date for 2020 isn't being moved also. I'm not breaking stones here as I am looking for an honest reason. Clearly it looks as if some 2020 state shoots are going to be held after August 31st.

·
Thorn in your side
8,114 Posts

Don't shoot this year would be my suggestion, unless you want to.

·
Administrator
8,589 Posts

Mike I will keep you posted on what happens at the Flathead Club as we move to re-open.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think the reason for not changing the target year you have got to include and consider the ATA computer systems being used to report and maintain records for the shooters. I am a retired computer systems design engineer. I can tell you from experience to change the target year "temporally" would be a real PITA. Then you got to modify everything back to the old year (another PITA). If they modify the target requirements (which they have) there should be no problems. Unless you are a points chaser what difference does it make? Think about it? What is important is if we can get back to doing some shooting SAFELY.

·
Registered
837 Posts
An alternate location has ABSOLUTELY got to be the Cardinal Center in Ohio? Although, I doubt Mr. Fishburn will "open" his doors. Remember, he made a trip to Sparta on a private jet last year during the grand and was told "thanks" but we are not interested. What's that old saying, "what goes around, comes around"!!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Best wishes for holding The Grand this year. Its a tough spot to be in.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not making any changes to the All-American team until the Grand when people have run out of time to get targets seems odd to me. Combine that with doubling up some shoots on the 2021 year has the potential unbalance the system. Why not just not have it for a year? People would understand because of what's going on right now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks Pipe Layer. I used an incorrect few words. What I intended to say was the Cardinal Center had to be ONE of the sites being considered. I would find it hard to believe Jack is really interested. Although, he does like to make money and putting targets in the air is a real good way. Since only one man has to say "yes" or "no" makes it a lot easier to deal with, especially the situation in Illinois. Can you see the BS on this site if they bring "part" of the grand back to OHIO. OMG. Get the popcorn out!!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Seems to me that the only places besides Sparta that could handle the Grand would be Elysburg, Linn Creek, the Cardinal Center and Tucson. RV capacity, help availability and weather would be a large consideration. And don't forget, it could be held in the fall.
JEB

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I would be all over a Tucson Grand in the fall. In fact, that is the only way I am likely to attend The Grand. However, I consider Tucson to be a very unlikely choice. It is pretty far geographically from the center of the trapshooting population, and it's too damn hot until near the end of October. I bet a midwest location could pull it off and draw a bigger attendance. But yes, Tucson is large and so well run, it could be an emergency alternate site.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts