Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Briley has been doing it for a long time. A lot of O/U Skeet guns wouldn't reset the second trigger with little guage tubes in them and Briley would change them from inertia to mechanical. You can also send it to Phillip's Gunsmithing. He does something that makes it sort of semi-mechanical. I had him do that to my Miroku O/U.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
A friend of mine is a retired Browning gunsmith. He converted my Superposed to mechanical triggers. He told me there was a time when some Superposed actually had mechanical triggers from the factory. These were the skeet guns that had the little short tube sets. Sets looked like the older Purbaugh type tubes. I know where two of these type guns are. Made long ago.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The factory Browning mechanical triggers have a different hammer that resets the mechanism. When Claude installed my small gage tubes he just cut the return spring for the inertia block inside the trigger. I've seen wire contraption activated by the hammer used to reset the inertia block.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Both of my 1972 vintage Brownings have mechanical triggers, and they are trap guns.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phillip is the man.
He is the go to guy.
My gun is going to him.
Hopefully this is what it will take for the scores to come back.
Rick in MT

·
Registered
852 Posts
Rick.....agree re Phillip for any repair.

Question: What game are you shooting where you need mechanical triggers?? Pigeons (??), yep, I learned the hard way on one bird with my MX-8 when my first barrel failed to fire. But where else do ya need 'em? Doesn't every other game give ya a "do over" in some fashion? My Broadway's, one recoil and the other mechanical, work equally well and love shooting them, now mostly only at Sporting.

Just asking.......thanks.

Ernie....in AZ

·
Registered
852 Posts
Rick......I'm retiared (yep), got nothing but time. Do tell, us with inquiring minds want to know.

Gene Clawson was a mentor on Doubles and Jim on Bunker. I remember Gene at the Grand with his "pre-civil war" Broadway trying to get Browning to service it and they wouldn't .....too worn out; but he used it on Bonillas in the shoot off at the Spring Grand here in Phoenix and won the championship. That was a fun shoot for all us snowbirds. Yeah, years ago, eh.

Well, anyway....would like to hear your reasons re the mechanical trigger search.

Ernie....in AZ

PS Consider a new avatar......:crazy:

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
A friend of mine is a retired Browning gunsmith. He converted my Superposed to mechanical triggers. He told me there was a time when some Superposed actually had mechanical triggers from the factory. These were the skeet guns that had the little short tube sets. Sets looked like the older Purbaugh type tubes. I know where two of these type guns are. Made long ago.
My Superposed ST-100, manufactured in 1979 has mechanical triggers.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
A mechanical conversion does not change the trigger pull weight nor does it eliminate the preplay. Be sure to request a trigger job also.

The conversion generally consists of a kicker on the sear to push the inertia block back from the firing sear. Once the hammer drops, and the inertia block clears the sear, the sear drops down and allows the returning inertia block to engage with the second sear.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'll add this...

It will not prevent trapping. You still need to allow the trigger to move fully forward to allow the inertia block to slip back below the second sear.

Krieghoffs and Kolars have a true mechanical triggers. Triggers such as these do not need the trigger to move forward as far. If you look at these triggers closely, you will see that the trigger is actually spring loaded back, vs the Browning trigger which is spring loaded forward. There's also a few more parts involved with the mechanical triggers.

Krieghoff and Kolar Gun shooters do not have trigger trapping problems, but that does not mean they are trouble free. Some shooters will fan-fire these guns because the trigger movement is so small.

Browning does make a small auxiliary spring that presses on the back of the trigger to assist in moving it forward. It doesn't add much to the trigger pull weight. This spring is installed in Browning 4-bbl sets, to assist with the 410. Shooting the 410 can cause trigger trapping very easily because of the soft recoil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
T
I'll add this...

It will not prevent trapping. You still need to allow the trigger to move fully forward to allow the inertia block to slip back below the second sear.

Krieghoffs and Kolars have a true mechanical triggers. Triggers such as these do not need the trigger to move forward as far. If you look at these triggers closely, you will see that the trigger is actually spring loaded back, vs the Browning trigger which is spring loaded forward. There's also a few more parts involved with the mechanical triggers.

Krieghoff and Kolar Gun shooters do not have trigger trapping problems, but that does not mean they are trouble free. Some shooters will fan-fire these guns because the trigger movement is so small.

Browning does make a small auxiliary spring that presses on the back of the trigger to assist in moving it forward. It doesn't add much to the trigger pull weight. This spring is installed in Browning 4-bbl sets, to assist with the 410. Shooting the 410 can cause trigger trapping very easily because of the soft recoil.
"Trigger trapping" YES, that's my biggest complaint I have with my Broadway. Is there someone in S.AZ that you would recommend to fix this (install the auxiliary spring)? I shoot ZZ birds and Wobble so a quick followup shot is often needed. Any other suggestions w/re to the 'trapping' problem?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with Broadway John: My first trapgun was a 72 Superposed Lightening and it came out of the box with mechanical triggers. The interesting thing about the triggers was they were both 11 lbs of pull. Didn't bother me has I am a slapper and they were real crisp and never bothered me. Had the lifetime warranty card and would get the gun checked every year at the grand. I wish I still had the gun and look for one like it at the grand every year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts