Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC vs. Lee Load all

5070 Views 45 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Joe Trapalino
Just curious what your opinions are, I have a couple MEC Jrs, 12ga, Hornady 12ga, and I’m looking at a used Lee Load all cheap. Can you help with the pros and cons? I’ve reloaded with family, I have not reloaded on my own. So pretty ignorant.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Just curious what your opinions are, I have a couple MEC Jrs, 12ga, Hornady 12ga, and I’m looking at a used Lee Load all cheap. Can you help with the pros and cons? I’ve reloaded with family, I have not reloaded on my own. So pretty ignorant.
You are money and time ahead with the MECs. The Lee will work but why go backwards?

· Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Twice at garage sales I've bought Lee Loaders for $5 each thinking I could make $10-$15 on my investment. Couldn't sell the darn things. Nobody would even inquire.

I've never had a problem selling Jrs or 105's or 155's at typically half of new.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
If you want to reload a box of shells once in a while, the LL2 is fine. I have one in 16 gauge.
I have a LL2 in 16 gauge and also one in 20 gauge. They both sit on the floor under some junk. The 16 and 20 gauge MECs are on my loading bench. Yes the LL2 will load shells. Would I spend $25 dollars for one again? No.

· Registered
138 Posts
I have a Ponsness Patriot, a Hornady/Pacific 366 and a Mec Jr.. I actually enjoy loading on the Mec Jr.. The simplicity is hard to beat and it's not like many of us have components coming out of our ears.

· Read Only
88 Posts
It's possible to get decent crimps with the Lee press, but the MEC 600 is just a lot easier and less tiring to use. With the Lee I had to seat the wads by feel- and you do get a knack for it, but the MEC does better and is faster. Getting a crumpled shell with a Win HS case was pretty common with the Lee.

The one advantage I see to the Lee is having all the different shot and powder bushings included, although it's a pain to change them. The powder bushings also were closer to the actual weight in the chart as opposed to the 29, 30, and 32 MEC bushing that came with my 600.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I have been using mine foe years still work great great loads no problems maybe you just have to know what you are doing.
Give me a break fool!
Those loaders are very well known to be the bottom of the barrel!
You couldn't purchase a bigger piece of crap if you tried.
They fit quite well with Tristar Owners,
MG

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.