Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put this in the shooting thread although if I don't get this problem remedied I won't be shooting much sporting clays. Haven't loaded up any 28 ga. hulls for quite awhile so my MEC Grabber 762R reloader has just been sitting under the bench probably for a least a year.

Started by attempting to load some once fired AA HS hulls. The first problem that occurred was the resizing collet sticking - had to manually push up on the collet collar just to get it "started." I sprayed a little red grease on it after checking to make sure there was no shot stuck in the collet fingers. I didn't actually take the resizer apart - but did use a dental pick to check between each finger.

That helped a little but didn't completely solve the problem. The bigger problem is the failure to properly crimp the shells. I've attached some pictures. The stage before the "final crimp is the problem - the crimp is not closing up and remains open even after the final crimp stage. Hope I've managed to attach a picture to show the problem.

I recall experiencing this problem when I last reloaded. However, I have primarily been shooting Remington hulls and occasionally the older style Winchesters. The problem seems to occur on the HS hulls - although not every shell. I am ruining about 3 to 4 of every five shells that I'm attempting to reload.

Any suggestions re: the problem and the solution ?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping (actually feel confident) there are people on here who know more about MEC reloaders than MEC does ! 8;)

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
NOT a Mec user or 28ga reloader, but seem to remember someone here on TS saying that the AA-HS 28ga was only 2&5\8 not a full 2&3\4 as are Rem.- AA-CFs & Fed. Probably just need an adjustment for AA-HS. Or just load Rem. or whichever brand your machine likes.

As to the resizer problem I'm no help at all but pretty certain there will be several that are familiar & can help. Ross Puls

·
Registered
663 Posts
bring the first stage crimp down aa hulls are known for a hole in the center start there and you may have to adjust the others down also

brian

·
Registered
474 Posts
The first crimp, station #4, should close the hull and leave a hole about 3/16" to 1/4" in diameter. Stage #5 should leave a nice crimp. Adjust if it doesn't. Stage #6 should be adjusted down until it leaves a ring around the hull just above the brass. Then up a little at a time until the ring disappears.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Right about the precrimp. The hole should be about the size of a lead pancil or a little smaller.

Next is the cam adjustment. The hole in the middle will change if you move it even just a little. The crimping punch should not go too deep. I prefer kind of shallow to improve hull life. Changing one will change the other.

The final crimp is not really necessary unless you are shooting an auto, its purpose is to round off the tip of the shell for easier feeding.

HM

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is odd is that about one our of every four or five shells will turn out perfectly. That's what is puzziling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like you have a serious problem, the hulls are bad. Package them up and send them to me...LOL
My loader was driving me nuts with something like this. The problem was powder packed in the downcomer and not allowing the shell to work properly and my 9000 was doing weird stuff. It had the systems of a collet. Cleaned powder and all is well.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smily

I'm not a huge fan of the new Winchester HS hull. You want'em ? Send me a pm with your name and address.

amboy49

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had same problem I called MEC, They told me that a year ago or so AA changed the leangth of the shell by Millimeters, so I threw all my old shell out I only had 150 or so, I bought 2 new flats from brownwells and the problem went away. They said they get 20 call a day on this same problem when it is all winchesters doings

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yup, the early production WW HS 28 ga hulls were short! It was a bear to get them to load properly. Newer stuff is closer to 2 3/4" length. The old, short hulls can be reloaded, but you'll probably be limited to Alliant 20/28 powder or Hodgdon Longshot as they are denser than most others. Your MEC will also have to be adjusted for the shorter hulls, starting at the pre-crimp station. See the shotgunworld.com/reloading forum discussion on these hulls (url above).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts