Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a small order from MEC for an order of 11 spare parts for my Grabber that weighed about a pound. In their defense, I was quoted $13.50 up front for shipping and handling before I placed the order. The funny thing is when I promptly received the small box with everything nicely packed and complete, the USPS FIRST-CLASS MAIL stamp had $4.34 printed on it. It sure seemed like an excessive handling fee to me since my total bill was almost $100.00. Is it me or is that the way business works these days? I'm not complaining but I'm complaining. BTW I love MEC products and their service. I think I may be getting old and crotchety! lol

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Standard shipping fee based on merchandise total. It's a charted scale of shipping costs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it is the standard shipping fee, but isn't $9.16 "handling" part a bit excessive?

·
Registered
24,809 Posts
I know it is the standard shipping fee, but isn't $9.16 "handling" part a bit excessive?
Just order one of those cheap'ass corkscrews, or whatever as seen on TeeVee, get the second for absolutely FREE just pay a second postage and handling fee. Say ouch.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Absolutely high, I was simply explaining how that sort of thing works. Shop around, as you should never buy parts from MEC themselves anyway. Hell, MEC even told me to buy the parts at one of their dealers like Gamaliels.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Its the way business is done. You agreed to the $13.50...it only cost them $4.34. The rest is profit. Just like the $100 you were quoted for the parts....probably cost MEC < $20. Its just business......not necessarily right...but business

·
Registered
857 Posts
Bgxt & Mikkeeh......I incurred about the same shipping cost experience with MEC. However, I know someone had to source/corral the parts, complete the invoice, transact the payment, get the shipping materials together, put it all together and seal/box it securely for USPS. Prolly not just one person involved. Yeah, takes a few minutes but MEC has to pay someone to do it.

Not raggin on you as I ran your same thoughts for a few moments. It kinda reminded me about the time I NEEDED the highest priced fuel I'd ever seen, in northern Oregon....."...well, do ya want it or don't ya?"

Enjoy your day.

Ernie

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I need another arm (mine cracked on the curve) that moves the adjustable charge bar on a MEC Progressive. Part is 3.00. They want 8.95 shipping. Needless to say I declined their generous offer. Got an email the had to add administrative cost to the shipping. It probably a 3 or 4 oz. part.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have no problem paying for shipping charges. It is much easier than driving around looking for stuff that most places don't carry anyhow. It is the cost of doing business. Employees cost money and so do shipping supplies it all evens out one way or another.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
On a happier note: I ordered 2 springs for my 5th wheel hitch from etrailer.com. Costs $4.05 and probably weigh a couple of oz. They offered "standard Shipping" at $2.99. Seemed more than fair. Small repair parts are a real pain....Many times you end up paying 5 times what the part is worth (or more) for shipping. They kinda got ya by the short hairs.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Order from Gamaliel. Free shipping over 50 bucks.
Exactly and not to mention their MEC parts are cheaper than they are at MEC.

I wasn't joking about MEC telling me to buy my parts elsewhere. At the Grand this year I went into MEC's showroom to inquire about adapting a primer feed to my early edition 600jr. The guy kindly showed me the part, how to mod my plate to work and gave me a brochure with the part #. Then he said go down to Gamaliels and order it because it's about $30 cheaper there.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Gamaliel's prices have been cheaper than Mec's prices for years. Not sure why. Seems like a kinda back-wards way to do business to me. I guess they have their reasons!!! Break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Absolutely high, I was simply explaining how that sort of thing works. Shop around, as you should never buy parts from MEC themselves anyway. Hell, MEC even told me to buy the parts at one of their dealers like Gamaliels.
A friend of mine at my club told me MEC said the same thing to him. I thought he was kidding. I guess not. Will order from Gamaliel next time. Thanks

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
grntitan, there is a reason they told you to buy it from Gamaliel's.

It seems they can't compete with them selling Mec parts.

A few years back I was looking for a Mec part and so I went to the Mec store. They said they had it, but could not sell it to me because of some agreement they had with Gamaliel.

So I went to Gamaliel's but they didn't have that particular part.

Went back to Mec and they could sell it to me as long as Gamaliel didn't have it.

So anymore when I look for parts at the Grand, I do first look to see if Gamaliel has them, and if so, buy them. If not, it's off to the Mec place.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I've never had MEC tell they couldn't sell me a part (own four re-loaders). They have suggested I purchase from another seller, as I most likely could get the parts a little cheaper.

Speaking of MEC. Had a broken weld on what I remember as a first model year 12 gauge 9000G a couple years back. They repaired it for free.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I just ordered $49.58 worth of parts from Mec for my Mec Grabber. They charged me $11.00 for shipping and handling and the parts came in the mail in 3 days. I have no complaints about ordering my parts from Mec.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts