Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem I have a mec 9000/hydraulic loader on the up stroke of the machine the resizing collet snaps open when it releases the resized empty then that causes the primer to flip upside down I have 4 of these machines this is the only one that's a problem also this machine has been rebuilt by mec at the Missouri fall handicap in 2019 I keep it clean and apply lube to the outside of the collet any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks Logman

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
i would remove the collet and clean it good and make sure nothing is down in it, if all looks good relube and reinstall and adjust.

What kind of lube are you using on the collet?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lube that is supplied by mec the collet has been replaced by mec it's new and was also adjusted by mec ???

·
Registered
323 Posts
Pull the collet, cleat it completely including the collet closer. Polish the outside of the collet fingers and the inside surface of the collet closer with scotchbrite. Lubricate with Super Web grease and reinstall, then make sure you’re not squeezing too tight, measure your chambers and resize just a couple of thousandths under, no more.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Log,
Only sure fix is to disassemble the loader and put a slight bend in the actuator rod. This was explained to me by a MEC rep. My 12 gauge press was the only one of the three that had this problem and bending the rod at the milled out slot cured it. For years I put length of 1/4 inch rubber tube in the collet linkage and that acted as a shock absorber when the collet snapped open. Lubing may help but will not cure your problem permanently. Dale

·
Registered
97 Posts
My manual 9000 had the same issue. I lowered the collet just a bit and it didn't flip the primer anymore whether it snapped open or not.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Lube the collet fingers more often. And use the lube recommended by Curly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: slide action

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
TJG you are the winner this solved the issue thanks guys
After you lowered the collet, did you adjust the setting for the sizer? Lowering the collet makes the collet tighter and having the collet tighter than required decreases the collet life, sometimes catastrophically.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
How much did you lower it? Now mic your brass and make sure it's close to a new factory.
Actually, 0.005" larger than factory new shells will work fine and make your collet last somewhat longer. Always check your loads in every gun that you have that they will fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
All MEC loaders are girls. I have loaded 500 rounds without a blip. Then the next day spend an hour adjusting it. Good machines but sometimes can be a pain. They tend to get pissed off easily.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
All MEC loaders are girls. I have loaded 500 rounds without a blip. Then the next day spend an hour adjusting it. Good machines but sometimes can be a pain. They tend to get pissed off easily.
Not all. But I will agree some. My 12 ga 9000H will load like a dream for about 500 shells at one time. Then completely go nuts. Perfect again when I give it the rest of the night off. All four of my other 9000H's just keep plugging away no matter how many you want to put thru them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts