Trapshooters Forum banner

mec primer tray

6K views 59 replies 45 participants last post by  acorange 
#1 ·
just curious what primer tray everyone is using with their Mec progressive reloaders, the original 100 count tray or the 200 count tray

#36 ·
I have a 9000G and 9000E both with the 200 trays. Still have the metal 100 trays on Mec 600's with chain pull and mechanical primer drop. Loading the metal trays not as easy as the 200 trays drop down feature.
The plastic 200 feeds are a great improvement.

Don't tighten the shot bottle too tight, it will impede the charge bars smooth operation.

#39 ·
200 replaced my 100, but I had to shim it and keep a coating of graphite on it to keep Win 209 primers sliding. It took 6 months to get it adjusted so that the primers wouldn't get stuck in the tube, drop upside down, timing right etc.. Now it runs like a dream.

#47 ·
Over time we have all read how other folks their own process and timeframe for reloading... its all good. Many have made little tweaks and changes to their machines either to improve function or to match their preferences.... Notice how almost everything works just fine? I tend to believe one thing most have in common is quality of the finished product. None of us want to load "junk" but then I suppose we all have a different definition of what that might be. My sone uses the 100 tray, I use the 200...... life is good.......... Larry

#54 ·
Well this is my first post on the site so forgive me for mistakes.
I have a used Grabber 8567 and have upgraded pretty much everything on it. I went to the new 200 count tray and no matter how I tweaked it couldn't get it to reliably drop a primer every time. Finally gave up and load primers by hand along with hull and wad as needed and no problems and since I'm new at reloading I don't really notice a speed decrease in production.
Just my two cents worth.

#55 ·
Finally gave up and load primers by hand along with hull and wad as needed and no problems and since I'm new at reloading I don't really notice a speed decrease in production.
Pretty much what I said a ways back in this thread except my press is a new-this-year 9000. (In my experience) The crashes caused by the primer drop tube and tray out weigh any time saved compared to loading primers by hand.

#57 ·
If you need it done for you, this service is available and GUARANTEED or your money back,
No Questions Asked!!!!!!
You mean ship the machine somewhere to have the tray installed? I don't even see how that is possible in the sense that it seems unlikely the alignment would survive shipping back.

Although I am new to reloaded this year, I have spent a lot of time with this tray business both in the forums, working on my own machine, and also talking to MEC on the phone. First, I want to say that my impression of MEC as a company is very good. They are easy to get on the phone, sent me a new tray bracket for free, etc. However, in my opinion the tray design is flawed. I don't know the history of the MEC presses but I am going to venture a guess (and I am happy to be wrong). My guess is that one one time, the progressive presses did not have a primer dropper. It looks to me like the mounting scheme was an afterthought. Someone at MEC figured out that if they made a notch in the red plate (turret assembly) and drilled one hole in the Left Link (for the timing adjustment they could retrofit a primer tray). The large capacity tray is not even shown in the main 9000 manual.

If you read through this forum and the one on SGW, it is pretty clear there are issues with the primer tray. Lots of folks have posted about problems. Curly has his detailed photographic thread about how to align and improve the mounting. I have talked to MEC a number of times on the phone to get their suggestions. I have fabricated alignment tools both for the bracket and the drop tube. These do get the tray aligned but here is the thing. The tray doesn't stay aligned. After some use, the tray will start to rotate. IMHO, the primary design flaw is the single bolt mounting scheme. One bolt in a loose fitting slot is just not a sound mechanical design. Why is there only one bolt? Again this is IMHO, but there is only one bolt because there isn't room for two or (even better) three for a triangular bolt pattern that can resist both rotation and translation. I imagine the designers at MEC know this because in many ways the 9000 is a mechanical piece of genius. I bet the cost/profit folks at MEC decided not to let the designers change the red plate to make room for a decent mounting scheme. Classic case of engineers vs management.

My personal frustrations led me to took pretty hard at the Spolar and PW presses. I have a fellow shooter that owns a Spolar and I talked to him at length. Seems that they all have problems and complexities. None are perfect. I decided to stick with the MEC but have put the primer tray on the shelf for now.

#58 ·
Of course, this is your choice and your free to believe whatever it is that you want. We adjust and correctly mount 40 to 50 every year, from those that don't believe. Guess what, in 10 years, we've had 1 unhappy client and his money was promptly returned. No Questions Asked.
By the way, Mec Progressive Reloaders have had primer trays for over 40 years.
Happy Loading,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.