Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am some what new to reloading. On my MEC 410 progressive reloader, it drops 12.6 - 12.9 of Lil' Gun when the bushing chart shows it should drop 13.4 grains using the #10 bushing. The #11 bushing drops 13.7 - 13.9. The recipe I am using calls for 13.4, does MEC offer bushings in half sizes or should I midfy the #10 bushing? What have others done who have experienced this.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I would try the # 11 bushing and see what it actually drops. If heavy, I would ream and polish the #10 bushing to drop what you want and mark it. Bill

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've measured the #11 bushing and it drops too much. The ideas in the link were great, I will try them soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Remember, the chart is only a guide, you need to weigh the powder to verify, change as required.
+1. I had a LEE rifle powder disk that was so far off (high, and considerably over pressure), I'm amazed they never got sued over it. Others measured quite close to the chart. I believe things like humidity and temperature affect things quite a bit, as well.

ALWAYS confirm your load on a scale, at least before getting started. Loading metallic I weigh every 10th round. Shotshell is one shell per box. Probably overkill but I really, really like having fingers :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1. I had a LEE rifle powder disk that was so far off (high, and considerably over pressure), I'm amazed they never got sued over it. Others measured quite close to the chart. I believe things like humidity and temperature affect things quite a bit, as well.

ALWAYS confirm your load on a scale, at least before getting started. Loading metallic I weigh every 10th round. Shotshell is one shell per box. Probably overkill but I really, really like having fingers :D
I just got a MEC 650 progressive for 410 and I weigh the first 300 or so. The machine came with bent parts (which MEC replaced) and I had some troubles with it working properly initially. I was worried that sometimes I may have double dropped powder when I had hiccups. So I determined what the maximum limit in terms of weight I would accept and rejects the ones above it. I only had 6 rejects. I've now run about 800 error free. I weigh the first 5 and then weigh randomly. Mine throws Lil' Gun with the #10 bushing 12.6 - 12.8 usually with an occasional 13 or 13.1. I'll get this sorted out soon enough.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
When I used lil gun for 410 my # 10 busging also dropped around 12.6 except when I had to add shot or primers then it would throw
13.1 to 13.4 grains but I contributed that with me loading components and jarring the press. It always returned to it"s original 12.6
to 12.7 after loading 5 or 6 shells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts