Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC Powder bushing throwing 7 grain difference

2138 20
Just an FYI, 27 year MEC 9000, welds on top turret cracked, unit dismantled to replace top turret. I noted position of dies/operational functions of the press before dismantled to return to original operational set up.
I maintain a manual loading book of data for load recipe and record charge weights and date them too.

Prior to being dismantled was using bushing # 30 throwing average 17.6 grains of Clays and re-measured before loading again now throwing average 17.1 ? So changed bushing to # 31, measuring 17.5 to 17.7 good to go matches load recipe. So this morning decided to double check weights again on my RCBS Load Master throwing 17.1 to 17.3 from busing # 31? This s the same weight the # 30 was throwing. I checked the charge bar and bushing # again, its # 31, the rubber washer and brass grommet under the powder bottle. Then loosen the powder drop tube and its clean and checked the height for prior specs and passed the test. I checked the charge bar and its traveling all the way left on down stoke under powder bottle. I also removed the bottles to check the charge bar holes are centered for powder drop too.

So how can 2 different powder bushing prior to loading throw higher charge weights then drop during the loading process? This one got me stumped ....................
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
15,211 Posts
You can't throw everything together and check the powder weights immediately, everything, the powder especially, needs time to settle down. I typically throw 10-20 charges before I bother weighing anything, although now I'm thinking even that isn't enough and you actually need to LOAD at least a box of shells so everything moves and jostles the way it would when you're running for production.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
You can't throw everything together and check the powder weights immediately, everything, the powder especially, needs time to settle down. I typically throw 10-20 charges before I bother weighing anything, although now I'm thinking even that isn't enough and you actually need to LOAD at least a box of shells so everything moves and jostles the way it would when you're running for production.
Absolutely right. When I used to reload, I'd plan on a few hours at the minimum.
When I was done, if I had any questions about my reloads, I'd cut the shells with the bad crimps open and weigh the powder charge. There is a number of ways to do this, but mostly I'd just add the powder load from one shell onto the other, each time keeping track of the total weight on the scale. It's data collection, and I can go back and sort it out later.
Depending on what you are looking for, this was the best way for me. My method evened out the error in measuring each shell powder weight and I could easily see if there was a dramatic differece, say if a spider had made itself at home in my powdew bushing.
Your mileage may vary.

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Buy a single stage loader and a powder trickler and hand weigh every charge.
Count every pellet and be sure they are exactly the same amount.
Verify every case, primer and wad weigh the same.
Proceed to work up a load and shoot 50 patterns and count every pellet and figure out your POI.
load all that Data into some program you can download, then scratch you butt and wonder.

Just load the shells and shoot...

Good lord you ain't shooting a 1000 yard match.

It is a shotgun for goodness sakes...

· Registered
2,636 Posts
When I was reloading I found that as the powder got lower in the bottle, my weights would go down. Found out that the weight of the powder above the bar was lessening, so I got lighter loads.

The first thing I did was to get a powder baffle. It fits between the powder bottle and the charge bar and evens the weight pressure on the powder. This pretty much solved my problems.

Just a thought for you.

I don't even know if they are available any more, but you may find one by looking around.

· Supporting Vendor
6,371 Posts
On the whole machine, the charge bar and/or power bottle ? I use a plastic trash bag and cover the machine completely when not in use.
You are just adding to static charge problems with the plastic bag.

· Premium Member
846 Posts
At least powder bottle, charge bar area, the rest of the machine probably would not hurt since you are using a plastic bag as a machine cover. My wife makes machine covers for me out of old fleece pillow cases.

On the whole machine, the charge bar and/or power bottle ? I use a plastic trash bag and cover the machine completely when not in use.

· Banned
9,591 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
When you install the powder and shot bottles to the machine just before you start to load, back them both off a little. This will take the pressure off of the charge bar and allow it to glide back and forth. I also find reclaimed shot will get very gritty and affect the movement. I perceive both altered my powder drops.

· Premium Member
877 Posts
When I was reloading I found that as the powder got lower in the bottle, my weights would go down. Found out that the weight of the powder above the bar was lessening, so I got lighter loads.

The first thing I did was to get a powder baffle. It fits between the powder bottle and the charge bar and evens the weight pressure on the powder. This pretty much solved my problems.

Just a thought for you.

I don't even know if they are available any more, but you may find one by looking around.

View attachment 1738284
Company is out of business and that baffle was a POS, which I found out when it plugged up. Have no clue how that could happen, but it did.

Reactions: mg1polo

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Were your previous drop weights measured from the same keg that you are now using?
MG
I think that's the main issue; weights off previous 8# of Clays of 17.6 and had to change MEC bushing # 30 to # 31 to obtain same desired weights while its dropping less grains than previous 8 #. I loaded 100 this morning measured every 5; first 50 was 17.5 and 2nd 50 was 17.4 so a .1 & .2 off while can live with it.
When I took the hull off the press all powder on bottom of case then after dumping charge into pan on the RCBS Charge Master a few grains just inside the mouth and on lip of outside mouth so getting static electricity from some source? The AA hulls have been stored for years in the basement in clay bird box and taped so can't figure this out (yet).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.