Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought new powder and shot bottle for my Mec. Did some loading last night with titewad. When done I emptied the powder back into the original container but there is powder resudue that clings on the side that I believe it is statically charged cause when I move my fingers on the bottle the powder follows. Anyone have a remedy so I can get it all out to use it for a different powder. Even thumping it on the workbench doesn't help

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Never experienced that problem before. Weird.

I don't see why you can't just blow it out with an compressed air. After that, if there are just a few flakes left, it won't make any difference when you change powders.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Anyone have a remedy so I can get it all out to use it for a different powder?
I would give the technicians at MEC a call or send them an e-mail and ask them. They might have an answer for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried blowing it out. Just moves around the sides. I'll give mec a call. Any chance it would be the powder.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
It's static electricity. NO big deal.
MG
I believe you are right, but how to get it out is the question.

If it's a flake or two or twenty, no big deal. It more than that???

·
Registered
30,405 Posts
Some past posts here suggest laundry softening sheets (never have figured out how that would not cause problems with powder flow) grounding the loader, or standing on rubber mats.

·
Registered
20,183 Posts
I'll not assume I know why, but a dirty, graphite stained shot bottle will not have powder flakes sticking. It seems backwards, but shot in the new bottle, powder in the old, dirty bottle always works.
Graphite is an electrically conductive ( very high resistance ) coating. Static electricity is high voltage, low amperage, electricity. The graphite bleeds the charge to the same electrical potential as the loader and off the inside surface of the bottle. No charge, no stick

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Wipe the outside of your bottles with a dryer sheet and if you want hang one in the bottle 2" up from the neck and hold in place with the red cap. When you fill the powder bottle just hold onto the dryer sheet when you pour powder. Since I've done this my powder drops have become very consistent. Some will say it's not necessary but I have confidence in it and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The remnants of powder is probably 2gns. Thinking I should rinse bottle with water and dry and maybe try the dryer sheet inside and remove it. Coat it real good.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
I believe you are right, but how to get it out is the question.

If it's a flake or two or twenty, no big deal. It more than that???
Ok, not sure if this will work or not. Possibly Flashmax knows for sure.
If you were to pour some powdered graphite into your shot bottle, shake it up and pour out
it might be possible to eliminate the static charge. Again, I'm taking a shot in the dark here.
MG

·
Registered
165 Posts
I load a lot of titewad and have the same problem with my MEC bottles. Found out by accident that if I tap around the bottle with a magnet that
all of the powder falls off the side of the bottle. Magnet is 2 inches long by 5/16 square. Don't have a clue whether its the magnet that's making it happen or just tapping around the bottle with a piece of metal that size. YMMV

·
Registered
20,183 Posts
Ok, not sure if this will work or not. Possibly Flashmax knows for sure.
If you were to pour some powdered graphite into your shot bottle, shake it up and pour out
it might be possible to eliminate the static charge. Again, I'm taking a shot in the dark here.
MG
Less than or about the same size as a paper match head dab of graphite in 5 - 6 ounces of shot, roll around in the bottle, dump the shot in your shot bottle. Pretreat if you want but I use the bigger shot bottle in both places on my loaders. That was why, when the OP said he bought both bottles new, I suggested using his old shot bottle for powder. ( unless, of course, it is broken. )

·
Registered
267 Posts
Anti-static cling spray, your wife probably has some for polyester. Half a second toot from the aerosol can on the outside of the bottle. Done!
Mike B

1 - 20 of 27 Posts