Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC large capacity primer tray

1616 Views 18 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  SteveS1965
The problem is primers not feeding down tray.
I have read thread regarding polishing the tray and will do so however two additional questions....
1. What is the normal pitch on these things?....mine is about 15-20 degrees and that seems pretty shallow but don't see an adjustment to change that?
2. Has anyone ever removed the lower tray cover? There's like 27 cap screws and will this thing fly apart if I do so? I need to get to the cattle chute to polish it!

Thanks
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
648 Posts
Use a silicon gun cloth to clean it and a long, thin screwdriver to push a bit of the cloth into the channel leading to the chute. Mine has only three screws and you can remove them easily. There is a spring next to the sliding bar . Keep your eye on it It will try to get away.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I have read thread regarding polishing the tray and will do so however two additional questions....
1. What is the normal pitch on these things?....mine is about 15-20 degrees and that seems pretty shallow but don't see an adjustment to change that?
2. Has anyone ever removed the lower tray cover? There's like 27 cap screws and will this thing fly apart if I do so? I need to get to the cattle chute to polish it!

Thanks
There are exactly 3 cap screws attaching the lower tray to the mount.
I don't know where you see 27 of anything on that primer tray?

· Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry the 27 was abit of sarcasm.... in addition to the 3 mount attachment screws there are 4 more that secure the lower tray cover.
But WRD is suggesting just use a screw driver or the such to push a cloth in to the channel what I was calling the cattle chute.

· Registered
465 Posts

Thanks
Make sure that the rubber nipple on the bottom of the tray is aligning with the metal primer drop tube . If not you may have to do some tweaking in order to get it adjusted correctly ,that will give you the proper angle on the primer tray. I had the same problem with one that I purchased. It worked fine once I figured out the problem.

· Registered
392 Posts
It can be helpful sometimes to loosen the screws that hold the entire tray assembly to the bracket, then raise the tray paying close attention to align the nipple on the bottom of the tray into the flare of the primer drop tube. Once done snug up the tray holding screws there.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
I finally got the large capacity primer feed properly adjusted on my 12 gauge 9000 Automate!!!!!

I swapped the [email protected]&%* thing with the standard capacity primer feed on my manual 28 gauge 9000G!!!

I am hoping to find a standard capacity feed for that press before I need to load 28 gauge shells.

The MEC Engineers must have been suffering a Cranial-Rectal Inversion when they designed the mechanism for that large capacity feeder. I still can't figure out why they didn't keep the relatively bomb-proof mechanism of the original feeder and just install a bigger tray.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I finally got the large capacity primer feed properly adjusted on my 12 gauge 9000 Automate!!!!!

I swapped the [email protected]&%* thing with the standard capacity primer feed on my manual 28 gauge 9000G!!!

I am hoping to find a standard capacity feed for that press before I need to load 28 gauge shells.

The MEC Engineers must have been suffering a Cranial-Rectal Inversion when they designed the mechanism for that large capacity feeder. I still can't figure out why they didn't keep the relatively bomb-proof mechanism of the original feeder and just install a bigger tray.

I think the short comings are an issue with you. I run 4 9000H,
"12, 20, 28 and .410", all with the awesome 200ct primer trays.
Never a single issue, other than flawless operation. Easy 750 per hour function. Don't fault the machine, for your operator error!

· Banned
9,591 Posts
reloaded 1000 today had the usual primer flip upside down not fall into the hole but got thru it w no mishaps other than a piece of debris got up into the powder drop tube on my 9000 hydro which i caught in time.
Your primer tray is NOT adjusted properly. If you wish to blame the device, instead of the operator, you will continue to have your issues.

· Premium Member
13,747 Posts
Your primer tray is NOT adjusted properly. If you wish to blame the device, instead of the operator, you will continue to have your issues.
As the German Volkswagen parts counter guy told the mechanic (me), "Are you blaming ze cah, or ze mekanic?"

Reactions: mg1polo

· Registered
1,642 Posts
I think the short comings are an issue with you. I run 4 9000H,
"12, 20, 28 and .410", all with the awesome 200ct primer trays.
Never a single issue, other than flawless operation. Easy 750 per hour function. Don't fault the machine, for your operator error!
Nope.....You've been extremely lucky....

We've messed with thing for over five years. It's run better since the change, than it's ever run. It's been worked on multiple times by two good local MEC mechanics, been serviced by MEC at the Grand, and the high capacity feeder wouldn't stay in sync for more than a box of shells. Always works loose. That chain and hook doesn't miss a beat, doesn't ever slip, and doesn't get out of adjustment from the vibration of the machine.

Don't miss it a bit..... I've run 12, 20, and 28 on manual 9000s with the standard trays and they've never had an issue......since I've changed the feed I've realized 90% of the issues we had with the automate were caused by primer feed issues.

· Banned
9,591 Posts

We've messed with thing for over five years. It's run better since the change, than it's ever run. It's been worked on multiple times by two good local MEC mechanics, been serviced by MEC at the Grand, and the high capacity feeder wouldn't stay in sync for more than a box of shells. Always works loose. That chain and hook doesn't miss a beat, doesn't ever slip, and doesn't get out of adjustment from the vibration of the machine.

Don't miss it a bit..... I've run 12, 20, and 28 on manual 9000s with the standard trays and they've never had an issue......since I've changed the feed I've realized 90% of the issues we had with the automate were caused by primer feed issues.

LOL,
You Sir are the issue. I can guarantee you, with 100% certainty, that if you bring any of those machines to the shop for repair, they will be returned to you functioning flawlessly!

· Banned
9,591 Posts

Oh and by the way, it has nothing to do with luck. The shop repairs all Mec reloaders and backs it's work with a full guarantee or your money back.
No questions asked!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.