Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's mainly rusty and dirty, but a few new bottles and bushings along with a thorough cleaning and it should be good. We already have a recipient at a club in town here. Will get more pictures. A special thanks goes out to jaybird353 for finding this and giving back into the program.

upload_2016-7-30_8-38-32.png

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I took it apart for cleaning and it appears to be pretty functional. Will need bottles, washers for the bottles and new wad guide fingers, but that's about it. The handle connections have very little if any wear. Should be a good reloader after cleaning.

This Jr is for Richie from the Naperville Sportsman's Club. Here's his picture taken today next to his pattern test. The pattern is right above the red dot.. His dad texted me after I left the club and said Richie earned his first 25 straight badge right before the club closed. This is amazing since he started shooting his dad's 12 ga 870 last Thursday, a step up from the 20 he's been using for some time. Richie is 13 years old. His dad and I have started discussing what's necessary to load steel shot on this loader - special wads, a Longshot recipe, a scale, etc since he'll be shooting at Naperville which requires steel shot.

Great shooting Richie!

upload_2016-7-31_21-8-16.png

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the parts needed. I've doubled them up because I received a 650 from SmokinTom that's in the same shape as this Jr.

upload_2016-8-1_9-47-28.png

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parts came. I've cleaned everything I could on my wire wheel on my bench grinder. Also hit the top and main bar areas with carb cleaner. It looks pretty good now. Next I'll need to get a bar for steel shot and some bushings, 20, 21, 22 for the 1 oz Longshot load and the PT 1260 wad.

upload_2016-8-4_18-31-30.png

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Nice job Joe.
You most likly know this, but just my 2 cents..
WD-40 and steel wool really does a great job. Seems to take the rust stains out of the red paint and blued parts too. I get 1 gallon cans for about $11.00 and fill my own sprayer.
I find when the local auto store has Starting fluid on sale for $1.00 a can.. Takes all the grease off easily and the Ether evaporates completely.

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like the steel wool tip but my arthritis doesn't. Good ideas though. Ether is cheaper than carb cleaner. Will try that!

·
5,069 Posts
WD40 seems to be effective on osteoarthritis and doesn't require an Rx...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Joe, I just came a crossed 250 of the CSD 100 wads that I have no use for. I can drop them in the box with the MEC Jr. if the young man can used them?

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's a picture of Richie and his brother Jake with the loader. They took to it readily. I have a feeling they're going to be needing a progressive real soon. I showed them once and they both seemed to catch on. Their dad does metallic loading, so they have a pretty good start.

upload_2016-8-11_23-2-13.png

These boys are ready to go. All they need now is some shot from the club, wads, hulls and primers. Old guy at the club has extra primers. I have a bag of pt1260 wads to get them started. Will have to look for some hulls. I'm not using them anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts