Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my great mec hydro has a leak on the end of cylinder .anybody have them rebuilt? what is the best way to address problem. thanks to all who reply. jack

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
my great mec hydro has a leak on the end of cylinder .anybody have them rebuilt? what is the best way to address problem. thanks to all who reply. jack
Post a picture of your cylinder, post it here. Most of them are re buildable.
MG

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Take the cylinder to a hydraulic shop and they may be able to rebuild it. Yours will be the older style cylinder that does not have screw off end pieces, making the rebuild a bit harder. Alternatively, buy a new cylinder. CAC has them for $157.36. MEC #8861: MEC

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
i have the earlier black one
That's not great.
Mec says, that the black one is not rebuildable. I tend to agree, because the end caps are pressed on and not threaded. There are some here, that say certain shops will rebuild them, but I can't see how.
Here are the part numbers that you would need.
2 - 2020, O ring
1 - 8860, 1" Seal
1 - 8858, 1/2" Seal
1 - 8765, O ring

Good Luck,
MG

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I believe those part numbers are the MEC part numbers that I have heard are no longer available. I don't think they are generalized hydraulic part numbers.

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
I believe those part numbers are the MEC part numbers that I have heard are no longer available. I don't think they are generalized hydraulic part numbers.
Yes, those are Mec part numbers.
I repair Mec Machines for many local shooters. 1 to 2 a week. I just bought those parts a week ago. I've never attempted to remove the pressed on caps on a old black cylinder.

MG

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Might there be some confusion on the colors of the MEC cylinders? This Cylinder is my spare that I bought in 1996 black, removable end caps. The one on my machine is black bought in 1992 same as this one. The only cylinder I have seen with swaged ends was a silver colored one from the 80’s that was on a 650 hydro. The end can be cut off, tube threaded and new end cap made, but for what they charge for a replacement it’s the practical way to go.
613C7700-A87C-402C-8B1A-D9B2A6E3F9D0.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
Might there be some confusion on the colors of the MEC cylinders? This Cylinder is my spare that I bought in 1996 black, removable end caps. The one on my machine is black bought in 1992 same as this one. The only cylinder I have seen with swaged ends was a silver colored one from the 80’s that was on a 650 hydro. The end can be cut off, tube threaded and new end cap made, but for what they charge for a replacement it’s the practical way to go. View attachment 1687911
TOOLMAKER,
As long as the ends screw off, I will rebuild them for $25.00. I do not make squat on this. Just helping out fellow reloaders.
Oh, customer pays the freight,
MG

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Talked with a guy at our club about his 9000H cylinder. It started leaking and was sent in to MEC for a rebuild. Not long before it started leaking again so MEC sent him a new cylinder and now it is leaking! What to do?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Talked with a guy at our club about his 9000H cylinder. It started leaking and was sent in to MEC for a rebuild. Not long before it started leaking again so MEC sent him a new cylinder and now it is leaking! What to do?
Find someone who knows how to repair a elementary hydraulic cylinder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts