Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam considering buying a mec for 28 ga. My thinking is that grabber will be less problem prone than 9000 by elimnating auto index. The speed of loading is the same for both loaders per the mec web sight. I am use to loading 12 ga on hornady. I prefer the hornady resizer vrs mec since there is no maintence required on the sizer. But I think mec may be better for loading the 28 ga. what is your opinion? Harold

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The only thing the 9000 does for you is turn the turret and drop the finished shell. I've loaded thousands of rounds on my Grabber. Although I'm tempted at times to upgrade solely for the "more advanced" 9000 I wouldn't be gaining anything other than saving me a simple hand movement now and then and I'd gain additional mechanical linkages to adjust and mess with.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I bought my first MEC 9000 (12 ga) after loading on several 600 jrs (10, 12 and 20 ga) for over 20 years. Aside from the ease and speed that the 9000 gives me, I can focus on placing the empty hull and wad and on watching the primer drop and enter the seater without the distractions of removing the loaded shell and rotating the turret. If cost is the driver, the Grabber will turn out the same quality shell, but with more manual input. If cost is not the greatest concern, but you still want to stay within the "MEC family"; I'd advise going to the 9000. -Ed

·
Registered
472 Posts
Stay with the Grabber. I got one in November of 1987 and it has served me well, you won't go wrong with the Grabber! I have loaded 354,823 with my Grabber (yes, I have always kept a log and chart on my reloading)and have had very few problems with it, and it is still going strong.

Frank

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If you box your shells as they come off the machine and don't want the shells to come out the back of the machine. The Grabber has easier access to that style.

If you have room and don't care if the shells come out the back of the loader. If speed is any concern the 9000 has the edge on this style.

I have both that are Hydraulic. For the shells for ATA they are loaded on the 9000 and drop into a bucket under the table and I box later.

The Grabber is set up for some game loads. I don't load as many and box as they come off the loader.

Good luck,

Ajax

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have both, the 10 ga. grabber and a 20 gauge 9000, I would choose the 9000 over the grabber 10 to 1. When you first get the 9000, you will have a couple adjustments to make to fine tune what you are loading and after that, they run very smooth and fast with minimal hand movements. Hull, wad, pull, next!!

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I load the 12 the 28 and the 410 on a 9000 The 20 is a grabber, I had found some time back, I bought the grabber in desperation and while it loads just fine I wish I would have waited to find a 9000 in 20 ga. come along,

The 9000 is an excellent loader for the $$$$ once you set your hull and load recipe your only chore is keeping the hoppers full..

best of luck to you,

Doug

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have 4 9000H's (12,20,28,410) and a 16ga grabber that I added the Hydraulic kit too. I have used and sold many presses and wouldn't load with anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts