Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put this here since if I can't reload I can't shoot. Well, not quite that bad . . . . but -

I have a well used MEC Grabber 762R 28 ga. reloader. I haven't used this reloader for quite some time as I'd purchased some 12 ga. 3/4 oz. Claybuster wads to load light loads. To my best recollection the reloader was functioning fine when I last used it.

However, I have several 28 ga. guns or 12 ga. guns with sub gauge tubes and I enjoy shooting them. When I drug the 28 ga. reloader out from under the bench having not used it for over a year I experienced a problem that I can't seem to correct. When I depress the handle the shell falls into the resizing collet but the collet does not "raise up" to encircle the shell base. In order to complete the downstroke I have to take my left hand and raise the resizing collet collar up an 1/8" to a 1/4" and then I can pull the handle on down to the bottom of the stroke. Thinking the resizing collet needed lubricating I took the collet completely out of the reloader, cleaned it, and then lightly coated the fingers with anti-seize before reassembling. The problem still persists.

Looking for suggestions to correct this problem - or what to look for that could be causing this problem.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
On the back there is a bolt with a roller that the rocker arm goes into. It has like a fork on the end. If this fork is not engaged you will experience the difficulty you describe.

So look on the back and verify. Manuals are at the link, downloadable in PDF form. Part number 113, page 18.

Look at the drawing on P 16, number 5.

HM

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar issue recently. On that manual that halfmile sent the link for, check bolt #1/#2/#3 on the left diagram. One of my bolts (Grabber 8567) had snapped unknowingly, but the loader still functioned, minus the resizer. With that bolt broken, it would not push the rod down, engaging the fork (#5 on right) to lift the collet. I replaced the bolt and have been back in business ever since.

Jim M, MO

·
Sky Buster
4,036 Posts
Make sure the collet fingers are not trying to resize the brass
to much. Mic up a new shell and compare it to your resized hull.
I would start with the collet opened all the way and see if the
hulls drop in all the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts