Trapshooters Forum banner

Mec grabber drops double load of powder

2432 Views 20 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Song Dog
I have been reloading for 55 years on 12 ga grabber shot my 1100 yesterday paper federal 17 gr 700x AA wad crimp looked good, so i reloaded a shell with a double load to see what the crimp would look like it was terrible pellets sticking out of the crimp but evidently i did have a double load upon the firing the gun the shell carrier was push down and bent beyond repair how do we get a double load of powder and a regular drop of shot.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Lumps in your powder that got hung up in drop tube?
Need to be very watch full and watch and listen gor every step of the process, with have decent hearing you can hear the powder drop if you dont have a bunch of background noise

· Registered
13,510 Posts
I like to roll my powder once in each direction before I reload. One roll, and one end over end. Don't overdue it. You don't want to create static cling!!! I never leave powder in the bottles. I always return unused powder back to the keg after I finish reloading. Keep both your drop tubes clean with pipe cleaners. Pack the pipe cleaners together into the drop tube. Then run back and forth to keep the inside of the tubes clean of build up. Works for me, and can work for you. I clean the tubes once a year or so. Only take a few seconds for each one, and will reduce your chances of getting any bridged shot or powder. Good Luck on your gun repair. Hope you can fix it. break em all jeff

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
A primer in the powder drop tube may cause unequal powder drops. I have observed this both on a MEC Grabber and a 9000G. A primer is dropped and then powder is dropped with no hull being present. The primer is then pushed into the powder drop tube. The powder spill is cleaned up and all of the partially loaded hulls are removed from the loader. The reloading process then begins anew with a primer in the powder drop tube. As the reloading process begins, some powder drops may be light and some may be heavy depending on how much powder is able to flow around the primer in the powder drop tube.

Proper care should be given to the hulls to be reloaded. Case mouths that have over wide case mouths, bent tubes, missing petals and other irregularities should be tossed as they may cause interruptions in the loading cycle. I don't hurry the reloading process and watch every aspect of the reloading process.

Murphy's law states that if things can go wrong, they will.

Schwartz's law states that Murphy was an optimist.

· Registered
235 Posts
If you watch the hulls that have shot dropped at Station 3 or 4 you should see shot levels are higher than normal if there is a double charge of powder. When using very dense powder with a small bushing that may not be the case. I loaded a test shell with one of the usual bulky 12 gauge powders once just to see if I could tell if a double charge exhibited any unusual tell tale signs in the MEC Grabber loader. Cannot recall the powder now - maybe e3, Clays or Red Dot. Anyway it was very evident that something didn't fit. I did this as a friend had a kaboom and was trying to determine why that happened and if he double charged a shell.

· Registered
4,491 Posts
......evidently i did have a double load upon the firing the gun the shell carrier was push down and bent beyond repair how do we get a double load of powder and a regular drop of shot.
What do you suspect causes a shell carrier to be bent down, as it relates to an overcharge of powder? Was there a 2nd shell in the magazine when you fired the overload? And of so, still, why would the carrier be bent?

· Registered
5,884 Posts
You have something going on with the loader almost be nice to have a camera that you could go back and review the process
But I think 34 Grains of 700X is going to do more than bend the carrier,

And I do think as you stated the crimp would be extremely noticeable,

Just good to hear no person type injury

DGH

· Registered
2,611 Posts
I have had the double charge before. It happens when for some reason the powder falls into the tube but sticks and then you rotate to the next shell and then the powder drops before you pull the handle. You will get one shell with little or no powder and the next shell will have the remaining charge plus a full charge. Sometimes you might notice this because the powder fell BEFORE you seated the primer so then when you seat it, the primer does not seat properly and there is powder around it. Hopefully you catch it there or notice that everything does not want to fit later. Depending on the powder it could be more noticeable.

· Registered
858 Posts
I agree with Kemen053. The OP said that he "reloaded a shell with a double load". Unless the OP left out something, he fired this load resulting in less than catastrophic damage to his shotgun. I'm surprised that the damage was not worse. -Ed

· Premium Member
126 Posts
It is my understanding the OP had gun damage from a shell with a good crimp. After shooting he purposely reloaded a shell with a double powder charge to check if its appearance would differ from a normal shell. He stated the crimp was obviously bad but never stated he shot that reload. He thinks his gun damage was caused by a double powder charge but other's posting in this thread think an out of battery issue caused the damage.
The OP's post could have been worded better but I've been guilty of the same thing.

· Registered
264 Posts
What do you suspect causes a shell carrier to be bent down, as it relates to an overcharge of powder? Was there a 2nd shell in the magazine when you fired the overload? And of so, still, why would the carrier be bent?
[/QUOT
I bent a carrier on an 870 410. I short shucked (I thought) and continued to shuck forearm. Some how it chambered new shell and spent shell was pointed outward towards rh side. Brass center punched primer and gun fired out of battery. Oops. Got a little bit of spray on wrist.
After disassembling a couple of 870s. My fault not mechanical.
I'm Lefty and my hand was knocking empty hull back in receiver.
Steve

· Registered
2,393 Posts
All you have to do is set the wad pressure so that you get some deflection or note how much pressure you are using to seat the wad. No deflection means you didn't get enough powder too much deflection means you've got way too much. Very simple very easy. No need to make things harder than that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.