Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an OLD unit I bought with my 600Jr 50 plus years ago. I kept it because when I had problems with my 9000's depriming station it was easier at times to just grab this tool and go on. I took it apart a while because it was running rough and I wanted to see if there was perhaps any rust build-up that could be hampering operation. When I put it back together and tried it the mouths of each shell would split or bend. There are only three rings to adjust or change around. All are 2 3/4 in. hulls. What the heck am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Size and de-prime don't have much to do with crimp. You have me stumped.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size and de-prime don't have much to do with crimp. You have me stumped.

Jeff
I'm not talking about the crimp. This is a device used only for "depriming". The crimp END is being destroyed or ruined in the DEPRIMING process. I hope this clears up the issue.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I think what you have is an old MEC case conditioner, not just a MEC Super Sizer. It was designed to not only size and de-prime but also recondition the case mouth. If the problem you are experiencing is only in the case mouth, you definitely have something set up wrong. I pulled up an old PDF file on MEC's website and they had no instruction as to how to set up the tool. You might try contacting them directly. Their customer service department is normally pretty good.

Jeff

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have several of these which I no longer use and have upgraded to the newer collet resized. MEC says when the handle is all the way down you should loosen the lock ring and turn the sizing ring down until it hits the bottom plate then turn up one turn and lock in. That sets the correct sizing part. I sounds like the upper half of the inside piece is going up too far in the case. You should lengthen the lower punch part to stop it from doing that and should correct your situation.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Your resizing ring should have just enough clearance to fit a nickel under it when the handle is all the way down.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have several of these which I no longer use and have upgraded to the newer collet resized. MEC says when the handle is all the way down you should loosen the lock ring and turn the sizing ring down until it hits the bottom plate then turn up one turn and lock in. That sets the correct sizing part. I sounds like the upper half of the inside piece is going up too far in the case. You should lengthen the lower punch part to stop it from doing that and should correct your situation.

Same problem
Your saying a 9000 will retrofit the old style deprimer/resizer? What kind of price are we talking about and how about problems setting it up?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts