Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
This has been the best responses to a thread I’ve ever had and I want to thank everyone so much! I have made so many adjustments including raising the wad guide 1/8” and going to a flat primer tray and dumping it every 50 or so and cleaned the collet and greased it a few times. I went 100 straight GCs and not one mushroom and I thought I fixed it but went to AAHS and bam two straight mushrooms right off the bat… I then had my father help me push the right button as I pushed the left and pushed the AAHS hull down and it didn’t mushroom any with me doing that. Plus I can’t believe how much I adjusted my machine to try that load. Way over crowded. I’ll go to AACF if those HSs hit really well tomorrow. I also have a mokemate on the way so if I have to very carefully guide AA’s down that isn’t too bad. I am only trying to find a plastic case plastic wad combo that patterns at the same POI of my papers with the two piece champion wads to practice 27 yards with. My fig8 wads pattern much lower than the champions so I’m trying AA with AA wad next.
If you have to push the hull down, your collet is sprung and will only get worse. You need to schedule a collet replacement.

Reactions: Song Dog

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you have to push the hull down, your collet is sprung and will only get worse. You need to schedule a collet replacement.
Okay thank you I’ll have to limp it until when winter league is over because there’s no shells around here but when it’s over I will send it in

How do you know?
I noticed I had to crawl the gun and run a 3x looking gap to get the same center breaks as the champions so sure enough took it to the grease board and used my truck as a rest and at 40 yards the fig8s were 70/30 and the champions were 85/15 to the naked eye so that’s maybe more or less I’m not the best reader of patterns but even 10% is significant to me at 40 yards.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I’m not the best reader of patterns but even 10% is significant to me at 40 yards.
OK, you were talking POI, not pattern percentage.

Still, that seems odd to me that a wad can make POI lower.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK, you were talking POI, not pattern percentage.

Still, that seems odd to me that a wad can make POI lower.
It’s actually pretty consistent at 70/30 with all wads except the 12C1 in the paper hull it patterns a bit higher and that’s what I’ve dialed in. Maybe it’s that style wad because federal grands are hitting the same for me but they cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Here's another thing. Have you adjusted the wad guide ? The rod the wad guide is clamped to has to drop down enough to allow the post in the decrimp station to move far enough. The two are connected underneath the press.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the same problem as the OP, that being the Win HS sometimes not falling all the way, first, follow Bob K's advice on checking to be sure wad guide is lining up and adjusted properly to allow full drop. Another thing I did was remove the shell lifter assembly, make sure with dental tools everything is cleaned out and dry. After that, with the shell lifter removed, you should be able to drop an empty hull down until it hits the shelf in the collet assembly with no help from you at all, freefall. Mine did that, so I reasoned that the shell lifter was what was causing the slight hang-up not allowing the hull to drop fully all the time. I took the shell lifter assembly and with a dremel tool removed maybe, 003 -004 thousands around the outside of the top of the shell lifter, the round disc part. While I was at it. I also chamfered the bottom of the disc part at a 45 degree angle on the bottom edge, I then polished the edge and chamfered bevel, reinstalled, and have not had a problem since. I know that the shell lifter is a loose fit, but for whatever, it must have needed a little massaging to help it drop every time. This may or may not help, but this is what I did to ensure a complete drop of the shell into the resizer collet.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Depending on how bad the mushrooming is, it could be that your primers in the fired hulls are sticking in the primer pockets due to corrosion. I've experienced a few mushrooms when the handle on my manual 9000 also had greater than normal resistance to going all the way down. -Ed

·
Registered
28,274 Posts
Depending on how bad the mushrooming is, it could be that your primers in the fired hulls are sticking in the primer pockets due to corrosion. I've experienced a few mushrooms when the handle on my manual 9000 also had greater than normal resistance to going all the way down. -Ed
Nope. The base of the hull is supported by the flat top of the shell lifter.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Nope. The base of the hull is supported by the flat top of the shell lifter.
The shell lifter does not support the hull all the way to the edge of the primer flange nor does it stop at a sharp drop off. The hole in the shell lifter comes out on a radius and if the primer is difficult to punch out, the base of the hull can pooch into that radius as described by that other fellow. The flange on an STS primer is about 0.303" and the flat part of the shell lifter has an inner diameter of 0.457". This leaves an air ring around the primer flange that is 0.077 wide that is not supporting the hull base.
Now you know.

·
Registered
28,274 Posts
The shell lifter does not support the hull all the way to the edge of the primer flange nor does it stop at a sharp drop off. The hole in the shell lifter comes out on a radius and if the primer is difficult to punch out, the base of the hull can pooch into that radius as described by that other fellow. The flange on an STS primer is about 0.303" and the flat part of the shell lifter has an inner diameter of 0.457". This leaves an air ring around the primer flange that is 0.077 wide that is not supporting the hull base.
Now you know.
But. It doesn’t leave the big round mushroom on the end of a tube.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
But. It doesn’t leave the big round mushroom on the end of a tube.
That is absolutely correct, I was just responding to the statement that the bottom of the hull is supported by the shell lifter. If the hull never gets down to the shell lifter, it certainly will not be supported by it at all.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Here's another thing. Have you adjusted the wad guide ? The rod the wad guide is clamped to has to drop down enough to allow the post in the decrimp station to move far enough. The two are connected underneath the press.
This was causing the issue I had on my grabber recently. There is a c clip on the rod that should touch the base before the wad guide touches the top of the hull. If it doesn’t, the hull may not fall all the way down in the collet and causes a mushroom. I just adjusted my wad guide up until the clip hit the base before the wad guide got to the hull and it solved my issue. I must have spent 15 mins with a dental pick cleaning and recreating the collet before I realized this was the issue.

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

21 - 37 of 37 Posts