Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC Charge Bars

1493 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  jansonuhl
I have a Grabber and a 650 press. The Grabber has a charge bar that you swap out the bushings. The 650 has a universal charge bar. I was using Ramshot Competition powder in the Grabber. The MEC chart indicated that I should use bushing #28 to throw a charge of 18 grains of powder. I ended up using bushing #31 to throw 18.4 or so grains of powder.
I wanna say I’ve read in threads elsewhere that this was common.
I’m looking for confirmation.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my experience, the bushing chart from Mec is a starting point. I’m always 1 - 2 bushing sizes different to throw the appropriate grain charge I need for a given load
Thank you. It’s not exact is it? I started reloading on the 650 and now setting the Grabber and it has the bushings and it’s like starting over again especially on the adjustments. I wanted to make sure my hat wasn’t out of adjustment.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Yes it is common.

Also you need to check the drops when you are fully operating the Grabber. You may have already seen it happen with the adjustable bar. You will most often get heavier drops with the machine fully loaded with shells.

Jason

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I don’t own a MEC. I have the MEC bushing adapter in a PW. Best practice is to weigh the drop and change the bushing accordingly. The chart can be wildly wrong depending on powder, lot, and variables on your press.

I load a lot of Ramshot Comp and it can be a stubborn powder. I agitate the powder in the keg before filling the press and always wipe the inside of the tube with a dryer sheet to remove the pesky static. Improves consistency and helps clean-up when I’m done. Good luck!

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
When using a MEC with either a MEC charge bar and bushings or a universal charge bar, IMO it is necessary to check your initial powder drops on a scale. IMO, the MEC bushings always dropped on the light side. Some lots of powder, especially PROMO, changed in density from jug to jug, as PROMO was made from a blend of other powders. Simply stated, PROMO is consistent on a weight basis and not on a volume basis.

I would alter the MEC powder bushings with a rat tail file to increase the volume or paint a bushing with finger nail polish to decrease the volume. When I went to the Grand, I would buy several extra bushings and/or charge bars at the MEC booth. Acetone removes fingernail polish.

The drop weight of shot, when using a volume measure, changes as smaller shot more evenly fills the volume measure. In simple terms, there is more open space when using size 7 1/2 shot (my favorite) than size 8, 8 1/2 or size 9 shot. MEC, as I remember it, made a special bar for size 9 shot for skeet shooters as a MEC bar would drop a measurable difference of size 9 shot which could disqualify a skeet shoot if his or her shells were measured.

Chilled shot drops heavier than magnum shot as antimony is less dense than lead. The difference is very small.

I think that less expensive shot from Europe or South America is often smaller for a given size than American made shot as they use a different diameter for a given shot size, and will drop heavier..

I have a MEC Sizemaster77, Grabber and 900G. It is my observation that a slow and deliberate down stroke yields the best reloads. I do not try for speed.

I have a MEC base that allows me to change from one MEC reloader to another. Under the MEC base, I have a large cookie baking sheet to catch powder and shot drops.

When loading on a MEC, watch everything especially the primer drop.

· Registered
4,781 Posts
Right from the MEC bushing chart,

Note: Amount of powder thrown by bushings was calculated using single stage reloaders. Progressive reloaders tend to throw a lesser amount. Please verify by using an accurate scale.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the clarifications. I’ve been reading adjustment instructions. Watching videos and cleaning up spilled shot and powder. I’m learning my process and slowly and methodically getting into a rhythm. I do recall reading the progressive presses note about them dropping a lesser amount.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
I have a Grabber and a 650 press. The Grabber has a charge bar that you swap out the bushings. The 650 has a universal charge bar. I was using Ramshot Competition powder in the Grabber. The MEC chart indicated that I should use bushing #28 to throw a charge of 18 grains of powder. I ended up using bushing #31 to throw 18.4 or so grains of powder.
I wanna say I’ve read in threads elsewhere that this was common.
I’m looking for confirmation.
Mec chart is a starting point, nothing more. always light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.