Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up, moved away from the adjustable bar. Thanks for all your input. My question now is, do all 11/8 bars drop light on shot? I have two and they are dropping approximately the same 471.8 grains, a little over 11/16. Trying to achieve 11/8 ounce, equaling 492 grains. Running Gold Metal hull CB2118-12 wad and 21 grains of Green Dot. Should I just let it fly or worry about the 1/16th of an ounce?
Thanks in advance,
Rich

· Registered
1,269 Posts
That's what make the adjustable bar nice,if your loading #9s or #2s you can get the 492grains
The only thing you can do is ream out your bar go slow! And some shot weights different from brand to brand

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Mec bars are based on #8 shot - Adjust from there -then factor in different alloys in every batch of shot- if it really bothers you drop in a extra three shot after the dump to get your .492 grains- that's what my AC-DC shooting partner does. -- But I don't really see the any real advantage it makes in his scores.

· Registered
2,258 Posts
Just a heads up, moved away from the adjustable bar. Thanks for all your input. My question now is, do all 11/8 bars drop light on shot? I have two and they are dropping approximately the same 471.8 grains, a little over 11/16. Trying to achieve 11/8 ounce, equaling 492 grains. Running Gold Metal hull CB2118-12 wad and 21 grains of Green Dot. Should I just let it fly or worry about the 1/16th of an ounce?
Thanks in advance,
Rich
If you depend on that 1/16th of an ounce shot you got more problems than 1/16th ounce shot will cure. Shoot as is and don't worry about it. gud luk.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
The easiest way to fix this problem is to quit worrying about this kind of stuff.

Trust me...if you miss a target, THAT AIN'T THE PROBLEM!

As I've said many times before, this kind of stuff gets into shooters heads all of the time, and has virtually NO IMPACT in a person becoming the best shotgun shooter they can be.

Put all of your time and energy into hard target focus, correct shooting fundamentals and IMPORTANT mental aspects of shooting.

One such example of this is a consistent pre-shot routine.

I see so many shooters who are "looking" for a problem with their guns, shells, glasses, "bad" targets, poor background, weather conditions etc., when the REAL problem is staring back at them when they look in a mirror!!!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you depend on that 1/16th of an ounce shot you got more problems than 1/16th ounce shot will cure. Shoot as is and don't worry about it. gud luk.
The easiest way to fix this problem is to quit worrying about this kind of stuff.

Trust me...if you miss a target, THAT AIN'T THE PROBLEM!

As I've said many times before, this kind of stuff gets into shooters heads all of the time, and has virtually NO IMPACT in a person becoming the best shotgun shooter they can be.

Put all of your time and energy into hard target focus, correct shooting fundamentals and IMPORTANT mental aspects of shooting.

One such example of this is a consistent pre-shot routine.

I see so many shooters who are "looking" for a problem with their guns, shells, glasses, "bad" targets, poor background, weather conditions etc., when the REAL problem is staring back at them when they look in a mirror!!!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
I don't have a problem with shooting and breaking rocks, just trying to duplicate a published load. Thought that the 1/16 might change the fps, stack height, etc. Don't know where you guys come up with this comprehension thinking this is affecting my shooting, when in fact it was just a question about reloading. But thanks for your concern and good shooting.
Rich

· Registered
36,909 Posts
I don't have a problem with shooting and breaking rocks, just trying to duplicate a published load. Thought that the 1/16 might change the fps, stack height, etc. Don't know where you guys come up with this comprehension thinking this is affecting my shooting, when in fact it was just a question about reloading. But thanks for your concern and good shooting.
Rich
I have 3 one oz bars, 3 bars marked 118. Everyone of them is off from stamped weight. One of my 118 bars throws 500 or more grains, instead of 492.

Reactions: mg1polo

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Get one of these - use large powder bushings on the shot side. Can match bushing to the shot weight you want!

I did a calibration for Eagle Magnum #8 shot.

Font Pattern Number Parallel Slope

I did not buy and test the #46 bushing as I never shoot 1 1/8 oz. One could modify a shot bushing - much cheaper and less permanent than reaming out a bar.

jk

· Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Thanks in advance,
Rich
Confidence in your ammo matters. How many pellets of the number you shoot equal 1/16th of an ounce? If you think that number matters, you can always enlarge the shot opening. Or do as thebigski suggests. Remember that you are trying to come up with a certain weight using volume and that the amount of antimony in your shots will change their weight. If you change shot brands, you may have to alter again that shot opening. I am assuming when you write 11/8, you mean 1-1/8, and 11/16, you mean 1-1/16.

· Registered
98 Posts
Get one of these - use large powder bushings on the shot side. Can match bushing to the shot weight you want!

I did a calibration for Eagle Magnum #8 shot.

View attachment 1747769

View attachment 1747772

Who makes this bar? Is there a part number? TIA

I did not buy and test the #46 bushing as I never shoot 1 1/8 oz. One could modify a shot bushing - much cheaper and less permanent than reaming out a bar.

jk

· Registered
36,909 Posts
I think that is a custom modified charge bar. The poster said he uses large powder bushings, 43 and above for shot side. there was a thread here about boring out MEC bars and using shot bushings here on this website a few years ago.

Here it is.

Reactions: aggieredfish
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.