Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEC 9000GN, 1.125 ounce lead charge bar, fully moves to the left, often sticks on the way back. I have tried:

verifying the grommet is in place on the shot bottle side
verifying grommet and washer correct on powder side with metal powder baffle
Removing metal powder baffle
verifying grommet/washer proper without baffle
loosening powder and shot bottles

none of that worked.

Then I noticed that there was resistance to sliding only when the return spring was connected, even with the bottles off the machine. I removed the bar, noticed some marks on the back side where it rubs on the brass posts when the spring is installed. I concluded that the return spring pulls the bar towards the rear of the press and makes it rub on the brass posts behind the charge bar. So I polished the back side of the charge bar with a scotch brite pad. And the problem was greatly reduced but not eliminated completely. Now when it does hang up, it seems that shot from the shot bottle might be causing it (just barely touching the shot bottle made it snap to the right).

Have I just dinged up the charge bar enough over the years that I should replace it? Or might I need to replace the grommets? Something else? Double up on the return spring?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Does your charge bar have the white dog bone plastic insert. If it does, maybe you need to replace it. If it is the older type bar without the insert they sometimes can get shot caught in them and hang up. Shot can get hung up on either type but generally less chance with the insert type bar.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I put the Liquid Wrench "Dry Lube" spray on my Mec shot bars. Remove the bar and spray the dry lube on it, it doesn't take long for it to dry. It resists dust and dirt with no oily residue.

There will be a thin white dry film on the shot bar but it really helps the bar slide smoothly back and forth in the loader.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have the dog bone rubber insert on my charge bars. I actually swapped the rubber dog bone out (used insert from a different bar) and the problem persisted. Then I put the rubber dog bone back into the other charge bar, and swapped the whole charge bar, and the problem got a lot better. I have had these charge bars for years, I am thinking the rubber parts might need replacing? Its worth a try to replace all the rubber grommets and the shot inserts, I suppose.

edit: was wondering why the inserts were described as white. Mine are dark gray! Lol. I see that they are indeed white when new.

·
Premium Member
5,843 Posts
MEC 9000GN, 1.125 ounce lead charge bar, fully moves to the left, often sticks on the way back. I have tried:

none of that worked.

Then I noticed that there was resistance to sliding only when the return spring was connected, even with the bottles off the machine. I removed the bar, noticed some marks on the back side where it rubs on the brass posts when the spring is installed. I concluded that the return spring pulls the bar towards the rear of the press and makes it rub on the brass posts behind the charge bar. So I polished the back side of the charge bar with a scotch brite pad. And the problem was greatly reduced but not eliminated completely. Now when it does hang up, it seems that shot from the shot bottle might be causing it (just barely touching the shot bottle made it snap to the right).

Have I just dinged up the charge bar enough over the years that I should replace it? Or might I need to replace the grommets? Something else? Double up on the return spring?
Turn spring around. You can attach them that will cause what your experiencing. May need a new one.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Get a longer bolt that holds the spring tab to the left end of the bar and put 2-3 flat washers between the tab and the bar end. Tighten the bolt and re-attach the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
I did what Curly N did. I bought a 3/8 hex bolt and two nuts. This has fixed my sticking problems. I did this years ago. Some will tell you that it puts more wear on other parts but so far, have not had this problem. Regards, Bob

MEC Charge Bar Spring.JPG

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I did what Curly N did. I bought a 3/8 hex bolt and two nuts. This has fixed my sticking problems. I did this years ago. Some will tell you that it puts more wear on other parts but so far, have not had this problem. Regards, Bob

View attachment 1665119
Dang, overkill, methinks!

·
Banned
485 Posts
I have had both the brass washer get a dent on the edge that would cause the charge bar to hang up. I have also had the rubber dogbone insert get worn and cause that too.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I have had both the brass washer get a dent on the edge that would cause the charge bar to hang up. I have also had the rubber dogbone insert get worn and cause that too.
That brass washer will cause more than a hang-up! If it slips around and covers up the bushing hole, you get pooky loads at random times. I hate those brass pieces and refuse to use them.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hard to kill a MEC Machine. I fully understand spacing out the spring retainer. Good trouble shooting idea. But I’d replace the spring, spacing it out doesn’t really restore spring strength. Just makes the spring shorter.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I have never replaced any of the rubber parts, I am going to replace them as a first remedy. I am waiting for them to arrive. I needed a smooth crimp starter anyway, so I added the rubber pieces to the order.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once I had some plastic nubs that looked like stray refuse from a wad bag get into my shot bottle. I still have no idea how that could have happened, unless it was in the lead shot. But I didnt find anything with this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Once I had some plastic nubs that looked like stray refuse from a wad bag get into my shot bottle. I still have no idea how that could have happened, unless it was in the lead shot. But I didnt find anything with this problem.

Sound like you haven't given up yet. Let's us known the solution. I am sure you will find the answer.
Steve

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
122 Posts

none of that worked.

May be a weak charge bar spring. Replace the spring. I had same problem ,replacing the spring solved the problems

1 - 20 of 33 Posts