Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if the mec 1 1/8 oz. bar drops a lighter payload of shot,what would the
(i.d.)inside dim. need to be drilled (machined) out to get the full 1 1/8
oz. of #8 shot. wanting to use for registered targets.

thanks, galen

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I don't think it would be a great advantage to start drilling the Shot cavity to throw a full load. An adjustable bar would be a better choice, since you will encounter a fairly wide variation in shot density. The amount of Antimony and other ingredients would help determine the density. That can vary between manufacturers and lots from the same manufacturer. I just make sure I'm not over and load them up. The extra few pellets might not make that big a difference. If it bothers you, then try the adjustable bar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quack Shot has my vote. I purchased the adjustable bar and it has saved me time and money, just a few minutes and I can go from a 7/8oz load to 1 1/8oz load. No more need in buying up the different bars and powder bushings.

Jason

·
Vendor
1,151 Posts
I've got an even easier solution. I started out in reloading with a normal fixed bar for my MEC. Once I found that I needed a different load, I then switched to an adjustable bar that I found to be a pain, as it would take me about a half hour to get it to drop what I wanted. I then bought a new (used) loader, and when I received it, found that the fixed charge bar had been bored out on the shot side to accept Texan shot bushings. So, I went and found a couple of Texan bushings and made a couple of my own that I could not find. Now, if I want to switch loads, I just pull the bar out, drop in the shot and powder bushings I want, replace the bar, and back to loading. Hope this helps, Josh.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Long back I found my situation much like Bill's. The MEC Bars I find to be pretty accurate. I can't say I've been off 1/16 oz. but, shot does have the ability to change slightly. Not enough for me to worry about. I find myself checking my powder drop @ every box or two. I bought a powder baffle way back when I went from a single stage to progressive, I like it. Should buy another for my single stage.

I know I'm not alone on this but, I don't like the Universal Charge Bar. Bought it with my old JR., I find it to be a hastle. Between bars and bushing you can get close enough and ever so slight differences don't mean that much. I use to find myself going crazy about my power drops. Talked with Allient people a few times over the years and they told me my worries are insignificant.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
likes-to-shoot and spanky, since your finding little variation (ie 5 or 6 pellets) I wonder which brand of shot your using? Is it Eagle?

·
Registered
723 Posts
My 1 1/8th MEC bar was off about 24 pieces of shot. I took my 1 1/4 oz. bar and added 2 1/2 (or so) layers of electrical tape to the inside until it is now dropping a true 1 1/8th oz. ( 1.125 oz.) on my digital scale.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The adjustable charge bar IS THE WAY TO GO!

Yes, it can be frustrating to adjust. However, ones you learn how to adjust/tweak the adjustable charge bar you will never go back to bushings.

I have been using the adjustable bar for years without any problems. You need a good powder scales to set the bar up to the correct drop.

Set the adjustment knob to throw a little under what you want. Than, SLOWLY turn the knob in SMALL increments and slowly creep up to the weight you want.

I have two adjustable bars: one set for 1 ounce and one set for 11/8 ounce. This makes it easy to go from 16 yard shells to handicap shells.

Like I said they can be somewhat frustrating, but, when you learn how to use them, I think they will answer your concerns.

Frank

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mount1,
Don't drill it. Just take a little file and touch up the inside of the shot bar a little at a time until you get what you want. If you are shooting hard shot, the bar will be a little heavy if you then switch to chilled shot. I had the same issue with a 1 oz bar--threw very light charges. Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I might add that, back in the days when I used bushings I would use a counter sink and chamfer the top ID of the bushing until I achiever the weight I wanted. HOWEVER, I found that when I got a new lot of powder the altered bushing did not drop the same charge as the previous lot!!!

So, that is when I went to the adjustable charge bar.

Frank

·
Registered
723 Posts
My 1 1/4 oz. bar with electrical tape throws within 2 pellets of 1 1/8th oz. with #8's, #7 1/2's , and homeade 7 1/2's. Hope this helps also. Now, I just PULL and don't worry about my "lost" 24 pieces of shot.Have had 2 -25 straights since doing so(1 month)........in the WINTER/OHIO/BELOW 20degrees.I use nothing but Magnum shot.....never will use chilled (unless the economy gets WAY worse).

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
EE and dkunser have the answer. My press uses bushings. I enlarge too small holes until they throw what I want. I shrink too large holes with 3M brand Electrical tape. It sticks so well it will never fall out by accident. In fact, you have to work at removing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are that concerned about the 1/16 of an ounce of shot. MEC makes an ounce and three sixteenths bar which should get you your original ounce and one eighth load. That is what I started using. TJD

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I think the ATA should go to number of pellets allowed rather than weight of pellets. That should solve all the problems with weight. I realize you will need a different number of pellets for each size of shot, but who cares? HMB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.