Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How accurate have you found mec bushings to be. I find them to be consistent but about a grain shy of what there chart says.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
might depend on how full your bottles are and if you are using a powder baffle. Try using only the large bottles without a baffle. Keep the powder over half full for a more consistent pressure

·
Registered
322 Posts
The MEC bushing chart is only a starting point to find what bushing is needed to reach your desired powder drop. I've found that I usually have to increase or decrease one or two bushings to reach my goal, depending which powder I'm using. I do use a powder baffle but small bottle on all 4 reloaders. Needless to say, your scale will be your best friend.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The MEC bushing chart is only a starting point to find what bushing is needed to reach your desired powder drop. I've found that I usually have to increase or decrease one or two bushings to reach my goal, depending which powder I'm using. I do use a powder baffle but small bottle on all 4 reloaders. Needless to say, your scale will be your best friend.
Yup, what I found. I am getting about what I want so all is good,

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
How accurate have you found mec bushings to be. I find them to be consistent but about a grain shy of what there chart says.
If you are loading on a progressive, they will almost certainly throw light, as the published numbers are for a 600 jr, which gets 6 cycles per powder drop, thus packing the powder in to the bushing. A progressive really only gets half a cycle per powder drop.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Use a scale, and you can add to the drop by filing out the bushing a little at a time to get you proper drop. Also, weigh multiple drops to get an accurate reading. Billy

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Never found any bushing to be accurate, that is why a scale is needed in your reloading stuff!! IF you feel the need to constantly change bushing, MAKE up your own chart.

Yes it takes time! I weighted out at least five throws and then averaged those throws and put that down as what that bushing threw with whatever powder. I have found bushing that are as far as three numbers apart throwing the same weight of the same powder. Don't rely on charts, if you don't own a scale!

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Mine are always a little light, obviously you have a scale.
I keep a stock of them and open them up as needed. A little sandpaper opens them up pretty easily. I file the number off and put the powder and weight so I know what I have. But I also do a quick check before I load.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Some powders can vary from lot to lot. When you open a new jug be sure to re-check your powder drops. JMO Colonel
exactly right and the reason you need additional bushings and a good scale. You can be 1 or 2 grs over on one jug of powder and be on the other side by 2 or 3 grs
on the next jug of powder with a different lot#. I have two or three bushings of the same # that throw different powder drops and are all unaltered bushings.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,023 Posts
For me to get the drop I wanted, the chart said #27 bushing. My scale says #29. I'm going with my scale.
My 1oz bar was consistently at .972. A Dremel and some slow-going patience and I'm now at .998 (although I expect that to change with the next bag of shot.)

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Most MEC bushings I have used drop light , often by a half grain or more . I use an elec. scale to test the drops. I think MEC does this possibly as a safety precaution since some mentally challenged people want to push the envelope ! Some people shouldn't reload. When one of my buddies got into trap ,one of his "friends" was loading for him . The loads sounded REALLY loud. When I checked the shells I found 26 grain of Red Dot in them !! Scales are cheap. Artificial limbs not so much !

·
Registered
124 Posts
Great info...I use the MEC chart to get in ballpark..Scale to fine tune...once I find the correct bushing I have found I can use that power and MEC bushing in my MEC or PW [with an adapter] and get good results....as for the shot drop that is a constant variable..diffrent bag to diffrent brand..the fill and drop will vary...wrote that off to just part of life....Keep Safe out There....

·
Registered
388 Posts
If the bushing is a little light, I file it out a little and check the drop weight with a digital scale until I get it right. It is also recommended that you do 10 drops and take an average.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The bushings are fine, the charts are not accurate at all. Its a starting point for you, you always need a scale to confirm.

The powder itself has variables - different lots, different densities, etc. I have had to go up/down 1-3 bushings between different lots.

Then there are all the variables with the machine, how hard you operate the press, how much powder is in the bottle, static in the bottle, etc.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree that the MEC bushings are only a reference point for measuring powder drops. In my opinion, there is absolutely no substitute for measuring actual powder drops than an accurate scale.

If you want to take the accuracy of these drops to the next levels, I recommend doing a test run of the first ten powder drops, measure them, and calculate the average amount of powder dropped. If your satisfied, then proceed with the actual reloading process.

Dave

·
Registered
129 Posts
I found the use of a baffle will drop light, also it helps to keep your bottles 1/2 full or more. usually going up to the next size or number will do the trick. I always conform my charges with a scale and check every tenth shell for consistency.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts