Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Use a scale to set your loads. Assuming you know the amount of powder you want to throw, pick a bushing see if it throws close to the desired weight. Use the numbers on the bushings to pick one that will throw more powder or less. If you find a bushing number that throws your desired powder weight, write it down somewhere to use as a starting point next time. If you were to build your own chart for Promo with your bushings or even if someone has one to give you, it will likely change the next time you get another lot of Promo. Even the MEC bushing chart should be double checked with your scale. You'll soon find a range of bushing numbers that you use, but always weigh a few charges to be sure. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
428 Posts
My MEC 31 bushing throws 17.5 grains of Promo. Maybe you can use that at as a guide to get started but you need to weigh your charges to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
There is no bushing chart for Promo (actually, Number 2 just provided one). This is because the density of Promo may change between different lots.

My take is that Alliant blends Promo to get the same burn rate as Red Dot, but does not do the extra step to bring the density to Red Dot specifications. Hence the lower cost for Promo.

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have recently started using Promo instead of Red Dot (can't find red dot anymore) and I have a 8 lb keg of promo that I purchased years ago. I spoke with the MEC rep at the spring grand and he advised dropping down 2 bushings lower (a 32 from a 34) from what I was using for red dot. The 32 bushing was one that was originally provided when I purchased my MEC 9000. It dropped 18.7 to 18.9 grains of promo. The recipe called for 18.3 grains. Other bushings would not get me to the 18.3 mark. I finally tried a new #32 bushing that I had purchased a few years ago with a bunch of others. It consistantly dropped 18.3 grains of promo. Problem solved! Is it possible that I wore the original #32 bushing out?

t

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would consider 18.3 grains of Promo to be a handicap load. It is on the high end of what Promo can do. For 16s try the 29 bushing as stated in previous reply.

·
Registered
26 Posts
18.3 grains of promo should be pushing the shot out at aprox 1200 fps. I have recently run 100 straight in singles and shot a 96 in caps to keep me at the 27 yard line. I love this promo powder. Shooting reclaimed shot with the promo power for singles with great success also.
Has anyone ever been successful using reclaimed shot for handicap?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Use a scale to set your loads. Assuming you know the amount of powder you want to throw, pick a bushing see if it throws close to the desired weight. Use the numbers on the bushings to pick one that will throw more powder or less. If you find a bushing number that throws your desired powder weight, write it down somewhere to use as a starting point next time. If you were to build your own chart for Promo with your bushings or even if someone has one to give you, it will likely change the next time you get another lot of Promo. Even the MEC bushing chart should be double checked with your scale. You'll soon find a range of bushing numbers that you use, but always weigh a few charges to be sure. Good luck.

Bob Falfa
Thanks to all that replied!

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Promo ( Red Dot's Dirty Little Sister) has performed well for me. A 31 Bushing will vary for me lot to lot but, runs around 17.7 to around 18.0 on my Mec 600 Jr. Never had a problem with it. Works well with 1 oz. loads. A tad smokier than Red Dot but, not much!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was using a # 33 and dropping 18.7g. A few days ago I shot 4 thru my chronograph and found I was at 1270 fps on average. I'm dropping one or two bushing sizes. These are 1 1/8 oz loads.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is no need to beat yourself up. 17.5 grains of Promo is effective for all targets and is safe in any hull with any wad and primer for all loads from 7/8 to 1 1/8 oz. of shot. The MEC 30 bushing throws 17.5 in my machine.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Promo = the stuff that gets sweeped off the floor and mixes to a burn rate that equals Promo. BY WEIGHT. So... it varies by lot, and you need a scale to get an accurate WEIGHT from whatever bushing.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Promo = the stuff that gets sweeped off the floor and mixes to a burn rate that equals Promo. BY WEIGHT. So... it varies by lot, and you need a scale to get an accurate WEIGHT from whatever bushing.
They must have an awesome leak in their system if they are able to sweep up that much powder.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Obviously it was an exaggeration to make a point. Promo is made from the end runs of multiple different commercial powders which are then combined, mixed and buffered as appropriate to emulate the burn rate of Red Dot by WEIGHT (not volume) of charge.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Not so obvious. Some could view it as at attempt at disparaging the quality of Promo. Alliant does us a service by combining other powders into a mixture that mimics the performance of Red Dot and sells it to us a lower price. It is a quality powder and its only drawback is the lack of consistency from lot-to-lot, which is a byproduct of how it is made. I, for one, am willing to accept the drawback in exchange for the lower price.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
As per Nebs,Promo is good powder, "THANKS Alliant" have used 3 or 4-- 8#ers, bushing size\number did\does vary from lot# to lot#. Have at one time or another tried most other offerings and found Promo to be as good as any. Ross Puls

1 - 20 of 29 Posts