Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at MEC Automate units - the cheapest I could find (new) was $760 and shipping ! I don't have any maladies or physical issues that dictate I need to have one. Just thought it would make reloading easier. But . . . . . $760 ! Are they worth that much ? !

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
If you take your time, watch the ads, do your shopping you will find substantial savings. Never had the automate but I have had 2 9000H units. Bought the first on e-bay loader and pump for $740 plus freight.... had the chance to buy a complete 9000H new in the box for $775. Jumped on it and sold the old one to a friend for $550. Are they worth it?? I load to shoot, about 1000 rounds a month plus registered shoots. Worth it to me but you have to answer the question yourself. You gotta find what works for you............................... One advantage with either the electric or the hydraulic is that they do not have to be bolted down. Set them on a table and go to work. Larry

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's worth it. I have an H as well, they really increase your consistency. The automate holds its value quite well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another advantage is consistency of the powder metering. They are really a nice upgrade. It's one of those things that once you get it you'll wonder why you waited so long. Make sure you get a foot pedal to operate it. (Mokemate)

·
Registered
519 Posts
My understanding and a little experience is that the Automates are great for 12 ga and are of diminished value as you go to smaller gauges, with 28 being marginably acceptable and .410 a PI TA.
IMO too finicky for 28 and 410.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I've been using an automate since last winter and I love it.

Your machines do need to be clean and in good condition, if things are broken/worn out/mis-adjusted you're going to have issues, but if the machines are wired tight, no issues.

Mine loads 12,20,28 like a dream, and 410 like a dream most days (there's still a gremlin or two in that machine I haven't ironed out yet).

If you like to get those last one or two loads out of a hull when you honestly know it's past time to chuck them, then you might have issues as well.

One thing I noticed most is that due to the fact that the links and handles on my machines were quite worn before I replaced them with the links for the Automate, many of the stations had to be adjusted UP, some quite a bit, due to the fact that all the slop in the system was removed.

I don't have any physical issues either, but I do believe automatic drives for reloaders are wise investment to prevent future medical issues, especially with shoulders, elbows, ect due to repetitive stress.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I recently picked up a lightly used automate along with the 3 subgauge loaders to go with it. I had a 12 and 20 9000 already so I converted the 12 to the automate and my son was more than happy to take the 20 off of my hands. Like others, I didn't need the automate but it is a very worthwhile upgrade. The smoothness of the operation is so much better, and as someone said already, I think the consistency of the powder drop is just that much better. I bought the pedal for it and you can really wheel and deal as your hands can be getting an empty hull and wad while the unit is cycling. All I have to do is pull a pin and loosen up/take out 5 thumb type screws and set one machine to side and put the other one on. I shoot skeet so I am shooting all the gauges. The fellow I bought it from bought the support rod for each loader that runs from the base of the automate to the top of the loader. It has a pin to couple the loader to the business end of the automate. Fast and easy.

Bottom line, buy one, you will be happy you did.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have had the hydraulic and now have the Automate. Glad I had the hydraulic first, can't say any bad about it, just like the electric better (much more quiet). For years I used a 366 and an RCBS Grand just around a 1000 rounds. Happy to have the Mec.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I can only speak for the electric and I really don't know how it could be anymore trouble free. They say they are quieter than the hydraulic.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
make reloading a pleasure and you dont have to have it mounted any where and can move it around if you like, i would buy another in a heart beat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts