Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a few minor parts for my 650, and noticed on MEC's website the 650 Progressive was not listed. Talking to the gentleman who took my order, said they are no longer being manufactured due to low sales. That's too bad I've had mine since the mid 80's. In purchased a new one last March when we were on lock down. I use Mec's hand resizer, that gives me something to do in the winter here in Pa. The gentleman at MEC said that reloader sales are very brisk at the moment.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,717 Posts
I like the 650 too. Simpler than a 9000 and easy to rebuild for the kids give-a-way program. Moving the shells around with one click is re-assuring. Have loaded some of my own shells with one and they didn't need resizing if I was going to shoot them again in the same gun.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
That is too bad as I think that is the best progressive loader they ever made. I have a 9000G but also have 3 / 650's.

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
119 Posts
Ordered a few minor parts for my 650, and noticed on MEC's website the 650 Progressive was not listed. Talking to the gentleman who took my order, said they are no longer being manufactured due to low sales. That's too bad I've had mine since the mid 80's. In purchased a new one last March when we were on lock down. I use Mec's hand resizer, that gives me something to do in the winter here in Pa. The gentleman at MEC said that reloader sales are very brisk at the moment.
love the 650 use it for handicap loads. It’s sad to hear it’s discontinued. Would buy another with out a thought.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I worked at MEC I'd stop making the 650 as well, provided my margins were higher selling the 9000. If sales are going up it's the smart thing to do.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The 9000 is versatile. The auto advance mechanism can be easily removed. The resize collet can be disengaged also if desired.
I advise the folks that are getting to know a 9000 for the first time to remove the advance slide bracket until they get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Damn, I just bought one a couple of weeks ago for the 410. I even found in my extra parts bin the tube, resizing ring, and stand off they use to give with every 650 but don't anymore. I also have a 650 in 20 and 28ga. Nice little press.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 650 is my favorite loader. I have owned and used most of the popular loaders. If you want a 650 there is a supply of used ones on the market, and you can probably keep it running forever. Most of my shotguns are now out of manufacture also.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I picked up an old 12ga 650 a few years back because one of those “I won’t separate the lot” haha been meaning to clean it up and set it up for my fed papers

·
Registered
528 Posts
I suspect almost all the parts could be sourced from the grabber parts list. (as in most of the parts are the same) Or am I missing something?
The MEC 9000 no doubt is their money maker. Just track the price from introduction till now.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
My father in law left a 650 when he passed some years ago. I’ve been a true fanboy of the PW 375 for a year but it might make sense to clean up the 650 and get it running. Would be a good machine for the bucket loads. I’ve never used one but the comments tell me I prolly don’t know what I’m missing.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,717 Posts
My father in law left a 650 when he passed some years ago. I’ve been a true fanboy of the PW 375 for a year but it might make sense to clean up the 650 and get it running. Would be a good machine for the bucket loads. I’ve never used one but the comments tell me I prolly don’t know what I’m missing.
If you need any help, let me know. I've rebuilt a lot of 650s for the Reloaders for Youth Program.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Joe, I just called Mec and was told they're not making them anymore. Guess I got lucky and found one still in someones stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts