Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with the first stage. The STS hull won't seat all the way into the collet. It goes in but just not all the way. I have to pull it down the rest of the way by hand before I pull the handle. Just started acting up, never had a problem before. Cleaned collet, de-priming tube and the surrounding area to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brutus

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
Check the collet again for pellets and put no-seize on the collet fingers. does the support for the drop tube fall out all the way for the drop tube to be at its lowest point at down stroke?

GS

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took another look inside the collet last night. I did find a small smashed pellet wedged in the fingers. Cleared and cleaned it out. Seems to be working better but still had to snap a couple of hulls down into position before pulling the handle all the way down.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
Took another look inside the collet last night. I did find a small smashed pellet wedged in the fingers. Cleared and cleaned it out. Seems to be working better but still had to snap a couple of hulls down into position before pulling the handle all the way down.
A set of these around the house are a useful tool when needed. They cost very little. Had a Browning Bar that was not feeding well and went into the head spacing area. Could not believe the amount of lead we picked out of there from lead shaving on feeding. One of these picks can get into all areas of the collet.
upload_2016-12-1_13-24-51.jpeg

GS

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Also, from time to time, pull your drop tube and clean it off. It tends to get a little dirty and when it gets that way, does not work free like it should.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use a set of feeler gauges to clean the collate fingers. Spray some WD40 on the collate after scraping the grooves with the feeler gauge and then blow it dry with compressed air.
upload_2016-12-2_8-32-19.png

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions...I will pick up some of the suggested tools this weekend and give it another try. There must be a small piece somewhere that I'm missing, its working better but still gets hung up once in a while.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The one I had it was a detent problem. You can move the shell plate by hand and check when it hits the detent that the shell stops in the center of the collet. Mine didn't,, it over rotated to a 60/40 off center this would allow 19 of 20 shells to drop in collet but one would always get hung up but with a slight push from side it would drop. If you didn't stop and push shell the shell it would only drop 3/4 way down. The results ended in a bulge bottom. After adjusting machine over and over I realized it needed a trip back to Mec. Lucky I had a choice I was still in my 30 day return policy, day 21. You can guess that the one I got made me think it was built on Friday at 4:30pm and everyone left at 4. I'm not bashing Mec just stating all loaders are mechanical and built by humans. Theres always a possibility of getting a lemon on any brand, I just came to the conclusion that a new one out of the box shouldn't have this kind of a problem with some sorta of quality control. I glad to hear most folks get along well with their Mecs and hopefully you get back to quality reloading soon with yours.

Powder, Shot, Wad, Primer, Hulls, Check!!
Red

1 - 15 of 15 Posts