Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Deprime “pin” stops at the bottom of the cycle. It is slighty bent. I have used channel locks to bend it in the past. Do I just need a new one or is it ok to bend it on occasion? Assume this happened by having a jam along the way?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
You might take a look at "Creative Loading Solutions" and what they offer. About the same price but I find their tool very useful....... Larry

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might take a look at "Creative Loading Solutions" and what they offer. About the same price but I find their tool very useful....... Larry

Do you know if their primer pin is hardened steel?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Swamp, the CRS stage 1 tool comes with 2 pins........ one that can snug up the primer pocket and one that is like the original MEC pin. Near as I can tell both are hardened.
Amboy asks a good question....... just what takes place to bend the original? Might look into that first as the installation of a tool in stage 1 that will not bend might really mess something else up............ Larry

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why is the primer pin bent ? I’ve loaded tens of thousands of rounds on 4 different 9000s and have NEVER bent a primer !
I've seen machines with bent primer knock out punches.

The cause is usually picking up the other guys empties from the field.

Shells that have spent some time on the damp ground can end up with primers that are awfully stubborn to remove, especially steel based hulls.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got this from Rudy at Creative Reloading Solutions. He makes cistom parts for MEC Reloaders.

Jim. After thinking about your problem I came up with this. The OEM punch does not fit tight in the hole like my punch does. To get it straight you must first loosen the jam nut then run the punch down into a hull. You must hold down the handle as you re-tighten the jam nut. This is difficult because they put no wrench flats on the OEM punch. Try it I think this will fix the miss alignment of your punch. Rudy. CRS

Videos | Creative Reloading Solutions

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have bent the punch hitting small rocks that went un-noticed from a hull... My son and I tend to pick up several thousand hulls at a time during shoots. Heck, I punched a perfect center hole in a dime on accident and have no idea how long I ran my Mec before I noticed lol. I usually load about 2500 shells at a time, so I am typically not looking inside each hull for foreign objects. The Creative Solutions punch might be next on my purchase list.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a spent primer fall into a hull and I forced the handle down punching it through the bottom of the hull, I don't recommend it. Since then I turn all the hulls mouth down to dump out and foreign objects before putting them into the reloader, and if I encounter resistance I stop and check. I can be trained but its a challenge.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You guys have GOT to get the UPP (Ultimate Primer Punch) from Creative Reloading Solutions.

Rudy's a great guy, and this punch is the bomb, - I'm not kidding. It's a requirement for reloading the 20-gauge yellow Remington Gun clubs :

Creative Reloading Solutions | Reloading Made Easy

Tell em Steve sent ya.
It's amazing how long I've been able to reload without one!

I was always surprised he never came over here to try to hock them!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Somehow my punch got bent on my 9000G, but I straightened it and have had no more problems. That was shortly after I bought it in 1994, and am still using it today loading 500 rounds a week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts