Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why this is happening, but every so often, the shell that gets deprimed and sized, gets tipped when it returns back to normal and before it moves to the next stage and stops the press from moving.

All I have to do is tap the shell and it comes free and moves, but it has been lubed and there doesn't seem to be an consistency with how often or why it catches.

Anyone had this experience?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Move it up and lube the elevator and arm that goes around it.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
MEC recommends that the elevator not be lubed.

The lube will not let the elevator move up and down without drag in the fork as is should.

Run it dry and make sure no lube is on the fork.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Okay I wasn't aware of that. I've always applied a thin layer of oil on it and haven't had any troubles but if they say not to then don't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will look at moving the elevator up. I also read that it should be clean and dry and mine is clean and dry. I also found an article that said it could have something to do with the wad guide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I came home from work made the change to increase it slightly and ran about 5 shells through and nothing caught. When I have a little more time, I will fun 25 through and that will tell me if my problem is solved.

Thanks everyone for the advice

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I use a brush and swab for a 45 auto to clean the inside of resizer down to the fork. A little polishing with oooo steel wool to clean the lifter tube.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
It does help the "jiggle factor" to put the wad in the wad starter first. Then put the case on the elevator.

If you put the case in first and then the wad, sometimes the case will move out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Make sure the collet is adjusted correctly, the fingers can drag on the base if the collet is too high. Larry

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
It does help the "jiggle factor" to put the wad in the wad starter first. Then put the case on the elevator.

If you put the case in first and then the wad, sometimes the case will move out of alignment.
The deprive ram will align the case .. Period

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
At times on a Hydraulic 9000, the Jiggle will allow the case to move and the deprime ram comes down on the outside of the case. Ruining the case and spitting it out of the loader...Period

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Ajax, I thought I was the only one that ever did that..........
That hydraulic pressure sure makes short work of a hull......... Larry

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
No Larry, I'm right along with you!

I seem to have more trouble with the Zinc coated steel based hulls.

It has helped when I changed my sequence to putting the wad in the wad holder first. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Ajax

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I began placing the wad in first and then placing the hull in place on station 1. Often the slightest movement of the elevator puts the hull slightly out of place.
Live and learn I guess...... Larry

·
Registered
145 Posts
When you put the hull in push back a little to make the wheel is back against the pawl that stops it from backing up take the slack out

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The original posting sounds like something I have happen infrequently. It is caused by the old primer not falling clear of the hull, so the hull gets caught and tilts. If I gently push the hull and shellplate back a fraction, I hear the old primer drop into the fired primer tray, and the shellplate rotates normally again.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I and a friend have also had this issue with our 9000 Loaders. If you adjust your deprimer downward about 1 turn the primer immediately falls out of the hull.. no muss, no fuss, no problem......... Larry

Here are some related products that Trapshooters Forum members are talking about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts