Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a 9000 with the old automate, and the primer will drop then get caught under the carrier, and then the advancing lever pops off. This happens about every 15 cycles. I have tried everything I know and am about ready to go back to my 366. Help! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Not sure I can help, but will try to help.

Have you got the primer drop dropping the primer right into the hole? If it isn't going into the hole, you must line it up so that it does. Also, if you have it drop at the last second, that will make it easier to hit the hole.

Now, if the shell is getting caught as it leaves the primer station, you may not have the primers seating deep enough. I've had that happen. You can ususally tell, as they will be protruding just a little bit. If they aren't, they will hang up as they leave the primer station.

Right now, I can't think of anything else. Check these and see if they could be part of your problem.

Don't give up on it, as it is a great machine, but like anything else, there is a learning curve on it.

If I can't help you get it, I'm sure there are many more trapshooters here willing to help you out.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The primers seem to drop in the hole straight, when the carrier moves it gets hung up and gets cocked under the carrier. I have been messing with this for a few days. It is an old machine, and I has some parts replaced by a competent mec mechanic. He suggested I buy a new one.

·
Registered
22,911 Posts
The primers seem to drop in the hole straight, when the carrier moves it gets hung up and gets cocked under the carrier. I have been messing with this for a few days. It is an old machine, and I has some parts replaced by a competent mec mechanic. He suggested I buy a new one.

As I understand your problem the primer drops properly but on the subsequent move of hulls the primer in the seating station won't let the carrier pass ? If that is correct the next question is if you are using a brand of primer that is too tall in the 'B' dimension ( chart below ). If not did the 'competent mec man' replace the primer seating assembly ? If he did, did he install it properly? See; https://www.mecshootingsports.com/t-troubleshooting-sr.aspx

View attachment 315770

DT

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chris, I've got 10 progressive MEC loaders and 4 single stage. My experience in having the primer hang up is in the seating stage not where the primer drops from the primer tray. Hauxfan is correct in the primer needing more pressure to seat it by lowering the drop tube a small amount to allow the shell to advance without having that small lip catch. Something I did to try and eliminate the primer from catching is to slighly crown the metal slug the primer slides across to the next position. I live in WI and have never heard a MEC person say you need to buy a new loader. Everything is rebuildable on those loaders keep at it and I'm sure you will figure out where the real problem is on your loader. I've taken the progressives completely apart and there is no reason you can't correct that problem.
Good luck Flatsboats

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Check the turret plate and see if any of the arms are bent.
Make sure the main spring is down flat against the keeper on top on the turret plate and on both sides of the roll pin that holds the turret plate down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts