Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC 9000 Splitting brass?

1752 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  ezz555
Hello,

Trying to tune up a mec 9000 in .410 bore. I'm using AA hs hulls, win 209 primers, 13.3 grains of Lilgun, and PC orange wads. The hulls are once fired hulls and look good before reloading after I reloaded 2 boxes I noticed about 7 shells had split brass. I did some research and it appears the split is happening during the deprime/resize stage. Do I have trash in the collet or is there some adjustment I need to make.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
FYI I recently had one split brass in a brand new factory loaded round of AA .410 ammo, pre-firing. Possibly a lack of QC at Winchester is exacerbating the problem, but your loads looked swelled above the brass.....possibly too much wad pressure? I'd get ahold of MEC if you don't get good answers here. Good luck with it.

· Registered
4,995 Posts
Like 50Ralph50 said, your brass may have been cracked before you reloaded and you didn't notice. Loading them pushed the crack open? I have 23 shells that are unfired with splits like yours, 23 out of a flat of AA 28 gauge. Winchester did have a problem with splitting brass. It may not be your machine ------- maybe?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for comments....have contacted MEC and they asked me for more pics / videos. They suspect may be trash in collet causing uneven closing of collet creating a crease or cut in brass.

Hulls are fairly new (within the last three years) . Once fired.

· Registered
4,498 Posts
I'll jump on the bandwagon.....I've shot plenty of them, in both 410 and 28. I've seen them cracked from the factory, and I've seen them cracked after the first firing. So sure, it's possible some might crack when being flexed by the collet.

Bottom Line: They use a very thin, weak brass on them. But at least they are brass, and not steel. And still one of the best factory loads you can get in 28 and 410.

· Supporting Vendor
6,376 Posts
Winchester has had brass splitting problems. Splits usually occur during firing. I cannot imagine anything in the loading process causing a split. I have seen brand new shells with split brass. Most splits occur at the first firing. I have sent split once fired hulls back to Winchester and received a certificate to get a couple on free boxes of shells.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.