Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost new 28 ga 9000, just don't load much 28 ga these days but ran 100 out yesterday. Just an FYI own MEC Size Masters and 9000's with the resizers. So when you raise the handle the "closer" just drops after resizing the brass with a audible "clunk" on 1/2 up stroke of the handle. Its even pops the primer just dropped out of its seating. I adjust the top ring above the "closer" ring in case it was loose or too tight but not causing the "clunk". I popped out the base bolts to observed the "claw" linkage on the rear of the press and no issues observed. I have never seen this before and its NOT normal and couldn't figure out the cause so called MEC this afternoon, it baffled them too. They made suggestions to dismantle the resizer and the shaft inside the main shaft that operates the "claw" linkage to the resizer.

Any of you MEC owners ever experience this on their machine ?

· Registered
438 Posts
Song,
My 12 gauge 9000 G was like that from brand new. For years I would put a piece of rubber gas line hose in the collet linkage to to act as a shock absorber. After talking to the MEC Rep the only real cure for this is to disassemble the press to get at the actuating rod that runs up the back side of the press column. The square steel rod has a portion of it milled away from one side. The rod must be bent or kinked slightly at this point to act as a brake when the collet opens. All the different lubes etc never fixed mine for any amount of time. Finally after years of acrobatic primers I did the above treatment and then problem was over. Funny thing is my 20 and 28 gauge 9000 s never have had this problem. Hope this helps. Dale

· Banned
9,591 Posts
Almost new 28 ga 9000, just don't load much 28 ga these days but ran 100 out yesterday. Just an FYI own MEC Size Masters and 9000's with the resizers. So when you raise the handle the "closer" just drops after resizing the brass with a audible "clunk" on 1/2 up stroke of the handle. Its even pops the primer just dropped out of its seating. I adjust the top ring above the "closer" ring in case it was loose or too tight but not causing the "clunk". I popped out the base bolts to observed the "claw" linkage on the rear of the press and no issues observed. I have never seen this before and its NOT normal and couldn't figure out the cause so called MEC this afternoon, it baffled them too. They made suggestions to dismantle the resizer and the shaft inside the main shaft that operates the "claw" linkage to the resizer.

Any of you MEC owners ever experience this on their machine ?
You might try greasing your collet. That is usually the cause.

· Premium Member
1,703 Posts
When mine does this I simply lube it like others have said above. I use the MEC never seize collet lubricant they sell - now I just do it out of habit every time I refill my primers. Then take it apart and clean it every once in a while when it starts to get nasty.

· Premium Member
877 Posts
Use the right grease on your collet and that clunk will go away( Hint: It ain't the stuff that MEC sells)
This grease that this sentence is linked to will give you clunk free sizing for many thousands of loads.
I have tried many greases and this is by far the best that I have found regardless of price or hype. Read the reviews of the product from users at the linked page. You only will need one tube unless you want to help a friend with his press as well. Send a PM to me and I will give you a link to the easy procedure to do the process.
If I had been smart, I would have started selling this grease years ago. Being smart is not something I am regularly called though.

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used P/W STOS on the resizer for years, never an issue, even with STOS on fingers and below the close ring still CLUNKS. Like original post 9000 like new thought maybe needs broken in but don't think so, will reach out for the other lubes to try but will dismantle the resizer and if so the shaft that controls the linkage to the claw that operates the resizer.

Thanks for the replies

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I have used P/W STOS on the resizer for years, never an issue, even with STOS on fingers and below the close ring still CLUNKS. Like original post 9000 like new thought maybe needs broken in but don't think so, will reach out for the other lubes to try but will dismantle the resizer and if so the shaft that controls the linkage to the claw that operates the resizer.

Thanks for the replies
I HIGHLY recommend that you ditch the STOS and get yourself some Super Web Grease!
Your collet is sticking and this product will SOLVE your problem.
Use your STOS on something else, it's not good in this application.

· Registered
392 Posts
Curly is absolutely correct on the Super Web grease.

I will add to that, especially on a newer machine, that pulling the collet cleaning it completely then polishing the outer surface of the collet and the inner surface of the collet closer can make a world of difference. Those newly manufactured collets can have some seriously sharp edges that will score the closer pretty quickly adding to the binding and snapping problems.

· Sky Buster
4,482 Posts
Curly is absolutely correct on the Super Web grease.

I will add to that, especially on a newer machine, that pulling the collet cleaning it completely then polishing the outer surface of the collet and the inner surface of the collet closer can make a world of difference. Those newly manufactured collets can have some seriously sharp edges that will score the closer pretty quickly adding to the binding and snapping problems.
Call Mec. They have great customer service.

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE="Dale R K, post: 8671669, member: 55177"]
Song,
My 12 gauge 9000 G was like that from brand new. For years I would put a piece of rubber gas line hose in the collet linkage to to act as a shock absorber. After talking to the MEC Rep the only real cure for this is to disassemble the press to get at the actuating rod that runs up the back side of the press column. The square steel rod has a portion of it milled away from one side. The rod must be bent or kinked slightly at this point to act as a brake when the collet opens. All the different lubes etc never fixed mine for any amount of time. Finally after years of acrobatic primers I did the above treatment and then problem was over. Funny thing is my 20 and 28 gauge 9000 s never have had this problem. Hope this helps. Dale
[/QUOTE]

Did you replace the "actuating rod" ? I replaced the turret on 27 year old 12 ga 9000 so had to remove the "actuating rod" to lift the turret after all the handle linkage is removed. The older 9000's has a slotted screw that has to be removed and new models have a new style bolt for allen wrench. I noticed the bend in the Rod so how did you fix your actuating rod ?

· Registered
438 Posts
Song,
Put mine in the vice so the milled slot was half exposed and pulled until I felt it give. The rod had a slight kink at that point. Wish I could tell you how much it was bent but I didn't take any pictures. When you put the rod back in you will feel how it rubs in the column. Like I said it positively stops the acrobatic primer when the collet snaps open. My press is from about '95. Hope this helps. Dale

· Premium Member
877 Posts
Song,
Put mine in the vice so the milled slot was half exposed and pulled until I felt it give. The rod had a slight kink at that point. Wish I could tell you how much it was bent but I didn't take any pictures. When you put the rod back in you will feel how it rubs in the column. Like I said it positively stops the acrobatic primer when the collet snaps open. My press is from about '95. Hope this helps. Dale
This is fine if you are using the manual press, but if you are using the Automate system, too much bend/friction in the actuator rod can inhibit reliable return of the turret to the top position. I did that! Any wear and tear in the linkage system can steal turret travel when the Automate drive/crank pin is in the center position on the drive wheel.

Reactions: mg1polo

· Registered
438 Posts
Curly,
Good to know, mine is a 9000G that suffered from brand new as I've stated on here before. It has been flawless since making the adjustment. A MEC Rep at the Wisconsin State Shoot is the one that told me about the adjustment. Dale

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.