Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC 9000 primer tray not sliding

6356 Views 54 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  kevin.prickett2014
I seem to have to stop and polish my plastic primer tray more often than I used to. I had been using regular car polish to coat it. I ran out and lately I've been using a silicone based lubricant that buffs dry. This new lube doesn't last very long. Anyone have something they could recommend that keeps it slick for longer? Thank
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Bad time to ask this but what kind of primers are you using? For whatever reason CCI primers don’t slide in mine but I’ve never had to polish or put anything in the primer tray for Winchester or Federals. No idea why, but that’s what I’ve noticed.

· Registered
2,614 Posts
Other than wax, make sure you have enough angle on the primer tray (rotating it slightly may put more angle on it). Also make sure something is not hitting the primer lid. I had that happen with some shells (may have been CCI primers) where some touched the top and then would not slide properly.

· Registered
156 Posts
I use a floor paste wax on my metal and plastic MEC primer trays. Slippery as heck and last for thousands of primers, maybe even 5,000. Works so good, I haven't found a reason to try anything else. This also makes for a great release agent for use with epoxies when the circumstances dictate the need for an epoxy release.

View attachment 1749454

Attachments

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad time to ask this but what kind of primers are you using? For whatever reason CCI primers don’t slide in mine but I’ve never had to polish or put anything in the primer tray for Winchester or Federals. No idea why, but that’s what I’ve noticed.
I always use Win 209's. I always had to clean and lube my tray on my Sizemaster & 9000. Seems there is some dust particles that come off the primers. It's almost like an abrasive powder.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Other than wax, make sure you have enough angle on the primer tray (rotating it slightly may put more angle on it). Also make sure something is not hitting the primer lid. I had that happen with some shells (may have been CCI primers) where some touched the top and then would not slide properly.
I actually took the tray off, filed about 1/16" off the plastic funnel under the tray to allow just a few more degrees of angle. Didn't help :(

· Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm using a MEC Grabber with the large primer tray, I've loaded 10's of thousands of Cheddite with no problems. When I ran out I opened 1 of 2 bricks of Winchesters, nothing but problems, not only do they not slide, they seem to bottleneck as they go into the narrow area, when they do drop I usually have to locate them into the proper position. Its almost as if the largest diameter is a RCH too large.

Pat

· Registered
2,258 Posts
I seem to have to stop and polish my plastic primer tray more often than I used to. I had been using regular car polish to coat it. I ran out and lately I've been using a silicone based lubricant that buffs dry. This new lube doesn't last very long. Anyone have something they could recommend that keeps it slick for longer? Thank
I use a very fine powder graphite.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.