Trapshooters Forum banner

MEC-9000 large capacity primer feed adjustment

3444 Views 21 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Timn
I had been using a MEC-9000GN with the large capacity primer feed for the past few years. A few times in 100 I would have a problem with the primer drop. While annoying I could generally notice the issue while I still had the handle down and use my left hand to correct the issue before moving the handle to the top and rotating the turret.

Last year I got a great deal on a nearly new 9000/Automate. It works great but it exhibited the same primer feed error rate but now what was annoying with the GN had become a new circle of hell. As background, you use the Automate by pushing 2 bottoms located such that it takes both hands (safety feature) and the turret descends to the bottom position. You then release the buttons, and the turret returns to home and the shell plate rotates.

While the cases where the primer didn’t drop from the tray wasn’t too bad occasionally the primer would drop and end up hanging cocked in the shell plate. Easy fix on the GN but with the Automate when the plate would rotate under pressure from the gas spring the primer would get jammed between the plate and the spring pad. At this point I needed to either force the plate back a bit or disconnect stuff.

What I found after watching countless primer drops was the primer tray slide was occasionally pushing the primer past the drop tube and the primer drop didn’t occur until the turret starting its upward travel. This lifted the drop tube just enough to allow the primer to free fall and bounce.

I adjusted the actuator arm so at maximum downward turret travel the slide opening was exactly in alignment with the drop tube. I just finished loading 1,000+ shells after the adjustment without a single primer drop issue. Far and away my best run without a stoppage.
Reactions: PTDriver
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Take a rat tail file after removing the unit and clean out the notch it mounts in. The powder coat they use gets thick there and the unit can't mount far enough into the turret. Get that squared away and then lower the unit until the drop is above the hole for the primer in the shell plate. you will probably have to bend the mounting plate with a small cresent wrench to line everything up. This can be challenging. Adjust the stroke of the actuator to drop nicely and it should be golden. The whole thing lines up better after cleaning out the notch and it changes the actuator arm pressure to be more in line, it should smooth out the action.

Something to look at and try....

· Registered
189 Posts
I'm having a slight issue with the pre-crimp station. The crimper die is getting stuck on the shell & pulling off. It doesn't happen every time just every 3-4 shells. I've tried adding a little anti-seize lube to the inside & that helps for a little while then it wipes off. Any ideas?

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I'm having a slight issue with the pre-crimp station. The crimper die is getting stuck on the shell & pulling off. It doesn't happen every time just every 3-4 shells. I've tried adding a little anti-seize lube to the inside & that helps for a little while then it wipes off. Any ideas?
Buy a new crimp starter. Then RAISE it a turn.

· Premium Member
3,588 Posts
I had the same problem only with my 20 ga - and only sporadically. Bought a new crimp starter die and adjusted it with various settings. It was better, but still happened once in awhile.

· Registered
10,633 Posts
As far as the primer feeder, they are the weak link in the press. Take the time and make sure it is set right.

As far as the crimp starter coming off the stud, it is probably time for a new part. However, one turn is a lot. If you are not loading AA-HS hulls, you don't need the starter down far enough to pull it off. Try raising the starter 1/4 turn at a time until new part stays on, and crimp does not have a hole in the center.

· Premium Member
5,201 Posts
As far as the primer feeder, they are the weak link in the press. Take the time and make sure it is set right.

As far as the crimp starter coming off the stud, it is probably time for a new part. However, one turn is a lot. If you are not loading AA-HS hulls, you don't need the starter down far enough to pull it off. Try raising the starter 1/4 turn at a time until new part stays on, and crimp does not have a hole in the center.
I agree that the primer feed is the weak link in MEC presses. I run two Grabbers and a 9000. I've had to adjust all of them and you must keep and eye on the primer drop. I wish MEC had a better system than what they have. Also, I'll add to what others have said that Cheddite primers do fall better than Winchesters. For me at least.

· Registered
96 Posts
Pull the pre-crimp die off and use a heat gun to heat the back of it just enough to make it pliable. Then, use a pair of needle nose pliers to slightly close the hole that pops over the little nub. I've done this to a couple that I have and it works like a charm. You can still pop it on and off after this, but it takes a lot more effort.

· Registered
189 Posts
Pull the pre-crimp die off and use a heat gun to heat the back of it just enough to make it pliable. Then, use a pair of needle nose pliers to slightly close the hole that pops over the little nub. I've done this to a couple that I have and it works like a charm. You can still pop it on and off after this, but it takes a lot more effort.
I'll try that along with adjusting it up a bit. Thanks,

· Registered
96 Posts
Not since 2012 when I started reloading after a hiatus. Had a 600 MEC 25 years ago but didn't use it a lot and honestly I can't remember.
A lot of people love the new primer tray. When they work, they work great. I’ve got a couple of them that give me fits and one that works flawlessly. My other four Grabbers have the old metal trays and they never give me any problems.
To me, the new, larger, primer tray was a solution looking for a problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.