Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Easter everyone, or if that's not your thing, Happy Sunday.
I have another issue with my MEC 9000 Automate. The resizer/deprimer station is deforming the brass on my once fired STS emptys. Not blowing the bottom out like it was stuck at the top of the die, but just enough so the rim isn't held down at the next station. BUT, not consistantly. I'd say it happens about every 50-60 reloads. I haven't taken the resizer die out, but I have cleaned and re-lubed (with MEC anti-sieze) everything and checked for any shot stuck in between the petals . If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would check the rotation timing which is adjusted by the bolt head at the bottom of the hyd. cyl. The base catch on the right side should just catch with proper rotation. If it is off it could prevent the empty shell from dropping all the way down in the resizer.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Happy Easter everyone, or if that's not your thing, Happy Sunday.
I have another issue with my MEC 9000 Automate. The resizer/deprimer station is deforming the brass on my once fired STS emptys. Not blowing the bottom out like it was stuck at the top of the die, but just enough so the rim isn't held down at the next station. BUT, not consistantly. I'd say it happens about every 50-60 reloads. I haven't taken the resizer die out, but I have cleaned and re-lubed (with MEC anti-sieze) everything and checked for any shot stuck in between the petals . If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you
Joe,
Is your wad guide lined up properly at the powder drop station.
Petals worn out?
MG

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe,
Is your wad guide lined up properly at the powder drop station.
Petals worn out?
MG
I think you mean the shot drop station. In either case, it looks fine and seems to be lined up properly. But I'm going to order a new one from MEC and replace it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had a shot pellet get down there and goober things up, but yours is consistently inconsistent. :D

As Mg1 inferred, I once did something with my wad guide that caused the shell lift on the resizing station to be out of balance.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Is there a big pile of spent primers keeping your shell lifter from dropping all the way down? Looks to me as if the shell isn't 'bottoming out' in the sizing die and the rim is getting crushed. If the shell lifter can't drop all the way down and allow the shell to hit the bottom of the collet, this could be the result. Look to see that the shell lifter is moving freely.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The hull is not dropping all the way into the resizing collet. Figure out why.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
This is absolutely the problem!!

The key is to find out why!!

On the 7 MEC 9000s I have owned, the problems were caused by either the wad guide being adjusted too low, thus the wad guide stops on top of shell, preventing the C-clip from bottoming out like MGPolo showed, or the Collet fingers themselves not opening far enough to allow the shell to drop down in.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,828 Posts
+1 for the hull not dropping all the way down in the sizer.

Spent primers in the tray can cause the lifter not to drop all the way down.

The collet fingers may not be opening up enough. This happens when the collet is about done, usually just before a finger breaks.

Best to disassemble the collet sizer and clean and check for wear. The easiest way to determine if the collet fingers are worn out is to compare the collet to a new one. It is a good idea to always have a spare.

Finally check the lifter to be sure it is adjusted properly. MEC has good how to videos on YouTube.

Reactions: Joe Trapalino

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I think you mean the shot drop station. In either case, it looks fine and seems to be lined up properly. But I'm going to order a new one from MEC and replace it. Thanks for the advice.
Actually, just raise it about 1/8th inch, and see if it makes the problem go away.

In your pic, you are using STS hulls, those hulls are pretty good for size consistency. If it was a wad guide height issue, it would be more problematic with Gun Club hulls, as they seem to have such inconsistencies in hull length.

If your current wad guide fingers are worn out, or missing, the problem would more likely be that you occasionally catch the wad on the top of the hull as it passes through the wad guide, thus cocking the wad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had kind of the same problem. When I took the collett apart I found I had a cracked finger. It broke completely off once I removed the collett.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I had kind of the same problem. When I took the collett apart I found I had a cracked finger. It broke completely off once I removed the collett.
I had the same issue and the finger remained in place until I removed the collet. It worked fine most of the time, but would occasionally crush a shell as this one is doing. If everything else checks out, removing the collet to inspect, clean and lube it carefully before replacing it would give some peace of mind that the collet is in good condition and properly lubricated. I'm betting on something blocking the shell lifter from dropping all the way down so the shell can bottom out in the collet, however.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FINAL UPDATE - Just loaded a few hundred rounds without a problem. I'm not 100% sure why. I raised the pre crimp, adjusted the nut on the bottom of the hyd. cylinder to adjust travel, had a new shell lifter in the spare parts box, so I replaced that, and cleaned, relubed, and poked things again. Sometimes I count on FM to get things fixed. I realized that a lot of people are very precise and would have done it differently, but that's not me. And since I have over 4000 shells reloaded, and out of hulls, I think I'll box the unit up and send it to MEC for a complete servicing. That would be a good use of the government stimulus money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This can happen after a shot spill. If there’s shot in the resizing collet it can keep the hull from dropping far enough before it closes to resize the brass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts